Used medicinally for thousands of years, cold press aloe vera juice has become even more popular in recent years, as more studies on its active ingredients show the of this juice.
Aloe vera, also known by its botanical name, Aloe barbadensis miller, is a species of plant from the Asphodelaceae (Liliaceae) family, that grows well in tropical regions. Aloe vera leaves contain the majority of the active ingredients and are widely harvested everywhere this plant grows. A few compounds found within this plant are vitamins (antioxidants A, C, and E as well as B12, folic acid, and choline), nine minerals, eight enzymes, saponins, salicylic acids, and more.
|Serving Size :|
|Carbohydrate, by difference [g]||3.75|
|Sugars, total including NLEA [g]||3.75|
|Calcium, Ca [mg]||8|
|Iron, Fe [mg]||0.15|
|Sodium, Na [mg]||8|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid [mg]||3.8|
|Sources include : USDA|
Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice
Impressive healing, and stimulating . It also helps in improving liver function which detoxifies the body, boosting immunity, and protecting the heart. Aloe juice is also used for increasing hydration, treating sunburn, the skin, hair care, and relieving heartburn, among others.benefits include reducing inflammation, speeding
As per the USDA National Nutrient Database, aloe vera juice contains vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, A, and E, as well as calcium and sodium. This juice, thus, works wonders for your immune system. Additionally, there are anti-inflammatory compounds (salicylic acid) and other such as anthraquinones that act as antiviral and can provide support against pathogens and chronic illness.
Protects Heart Health
Aloe vera juice can protect helping to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels naturally, this juice can help reduce the risk of associated heart disease.health in a number of ways. By
A 2012 report based on the effects of aloe vera leaf atherosclerosis risk factors, and fatty streak formation in hypercholesterolemic rabbits, showed that it significantly decreased the total cholesterol levels in rabbits receiving a cholesterol-rich diet.on some of the
A powerful moisturizer used in the treatment of dry shown to improve skin integrity, tighten
pores and reduce acne. Regular consumption of this juice can help give your skin a natural glow and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles through the stimulation of fibroblasts which produce collagen and elastin fibers.
A 2015 report published in the Biomed Research International Journal concluded that aloe vera improves the process of wound healing and other procedures related to the organ both clinically and experimentally.
Aids in Digestion
Studies have shown that aloe vera juice can improve your digestive process and relieve constipation; compounds called anthraquinones to stimulate mucus production, increase intestinal water and increase intestinal peristalsis.
A 2010 report titled, Aloe vera: A Potential Herb and its Medicinal Importance, published in the Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research revealed that aloe juice has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent discomfort, bloating, cramping, and flatulence if consumed regularly.
Detoxifies the Body
Due to the high water content of aloe vera juice, it can help to keep you hydrated and stimulate urination. Additionally, this juice improves liver function, which relieves the body of excess toxins, fats, and salts.
Prevents Gut Irritation
The best environment for a gut is a balanced pH, but many people tend to have an overly acidic stomach.
A report published in the Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics Journal concludes that aloe vera has alkalizing properties, which makes it ideal for your stomach to operate normally and maintain a proper microflora balance.
Aloe Vera Juice Uses
You can have aloe vera juice on its own or use it in smoothies. Just add a tablespoon of it while making a fruit or vegetable smoothie to derive the benefits. If you want to use aloe juice for cosmetic reasons then you can use it as a moisturizer, as a makeup remover and even add it to natural face packs.
Side Effects of Aloe Vera Juice
Despite the many health benefits, there are some potential side effects to drinking aloe vera juice that must be taken into consideration, including its laxative effects, negative interactions with certain medications, skin inflammation, allergic reactions, complications with pregnancy, and possible effects on the heart.
- Laxative – One of the active ingredients in aloe vera juice is a chemical called anthraquinone, which can have laxative effects on the body. While small amounts of aloe vera juice can help with digestion, pure aloe vera juice in large quantities can cause diarrhea. Furthermore, anthraquinone is in nature, so some commercial varieties of aloe vera juice offer low-anthraquinone varieties.
- Medications – Certain medications, like the potassium-losing diuretic medication furosemide, can negatively interact with the active ingredients in aloe vera juice and exacerbate potassium loss. Topically, aloe vera may
increase the absorption of certain steroid creams. If you are on any prescribed medications, speak with your doctor before consuming aloe vera juice.
- Allergic Reactions – Some people have natural allergies to aloe vera juice or the chemicals it contains, which can result in irritation or swelling of the face, lips, and tongue. Discontinue its use immediately if these symptoms appear.
- Skin Irritation – Although the juice is consumed internally, it can manifest in the form of itchy, red or blotchy skin, particularly for those with a sensitive stomach.
- Pregnancy – Research has shown that this juice has stimulant qualities, and can cause uterine contractions. Pregnant women are recommended to abstain from drinking aloe vera juice, as it can cause serious complications with pregnancy including miscarriage.
- Cardiovascular Side Effects – Due to the stimulant properties, aloe vera can cause an excess of stress hormones in the body, namely adrenaline. For people who have experienced cardiovascular episodes in the past or are at high risk for heart problems, use this juice with caution.