Apple cider vinegar and honey is an age-old combination handed down as a home remedy by grandparents and alternative doctors to ease a cold, cough, and hay fever. The classics are being revived as many people are turning to natural ways to heal their bodies.
Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey Benefits
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) and honey, both contain beneficial health effects. While there are no research papers available specifically for the benefits of an apple cider vinegar and honey drink, here are the top science-backed benefits of ACV and honey. compounds that have
May Aid In Weight Loss
A 12-week research study showed that obese adults who consumed 30 ml (approx. 2 tbsp) or 15 ml (approx. 1 tbsp) of vinegar in a 500 ml beverage daily saw a decrease in body weight, body fat percentage, and regular blood sugar levels and can keep you feeling satiated longer. This is one of the reasons why there are so many popular detox and weight loss diets using apple cider vinegar.levels as compared to a placebo group. Research also shows that vinegar intake helps
The compared to regular sugar., according to studies, are that it may reduce weight gain and adiposity, presumably due to lower food intake, as
You can visit How Much Apple Cider Vinegar Is Good For Weight Loss and Is Honey Good For Weight Loss for detailed information on weight loss associated with apple cider vinegar and honey.
Helps Ease Cough & Seasonal Allergies
Honey is commonly used in folk medicine to treat inflammation, cough, and fever. Honey and lemon juice diluted in water is often given to soothe a sore throat as it has potent antimicrobial properties. In one study, young children (1-5 years) suffering from upper tract infections were given honey (2 teaspoons) at bedtime. It helped reduce coughing and aided in letting them sleep better. The study also found that honey appeared to be as effective as a common cough suppressant ingredient, dextromethorphan.
Honey may also help ease the symptoms associated with seasonal allergies such as hay fever, as shown in animal models.
There are no research papers that show ACV can help alleviate cough and cold. However, acetic acid, one of the main components of ACV, is known to haveproperties.
May Improve Heart Health
ACV can help significantly reduce some risk factors for cardiovascular diseases and atherosclerosis. Research suggests that apple cider vinegar can help suppress obesity-induced oxidative stress due to its natural antioxidant content. Increased oxidative stress and obesity can severely increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Furthermore, a rat study showed that the administration of ACV for nine weeks showed a marked decrease in triglyceride and LDL (bad ) levels. Another study showed that twelve weeks of aerobic exercise along with daily intake of apple vinegar made a significant decrease in biomarkers. It also decreased cholesterol and LDL levels and increased HDL levels.
Similarly, honey also is rich in natural phenolic compounds such as quercetin, caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), and kaempferol to name a few, all of which have shown therapeutic potential in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. CAPE, one of the main medicinal components of honeybee propolis, is shown to have reduced in laboratory rats.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey?
If you are planning to have this natural drink for health reasons, we recommend doing it for a month and then taking a break to avoid the possible side effects like the erosion of teeth enamel. Also, organic apple cider vinegar with the mother strain and raw honey can give maximum benefits, according to anecdotal evidence. Here is the two-step method of making an ACV and honey shot.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 teaspoons of honey in a glass.
- Add 1 cup (8 ounces) of warm water to the mixture. Make sure you don’t take boiling water as it can have a detrimental effect on the benefits of honey. Your detox drink is ready.
If you desire, you can flavor it with ginger, mint, or any of your favorite herbs and spices. There is no real beneficial time on when to have it. You can have it either in the morning on waking, just before bedtime, or between meals. It is best to check what is suitable for you.
Risks & Side Effects
While the side effects are not documented, here are the potential downsides of having apple cider vinegar and honey daily.
- High in Sugar: Honey is high in calories and sugar. One tablespoon of honey has almost 64 calories and 17 grams of sugar, according to the USDA. So it should be had in moderation, especially on a weight loss program.
- Nausea: Apple cider vinegar can cause certain people to feel nauseous, which can act as an appetite suppressant. However, this method should not be used if you feel sick after ingesting the apple cider vinegar and honey shot.
- Teeth Enamel Erosion: According to the American Dental Association, too much of any acidic foods or drinks like apple cider vinegar can cause erosion of teeth enamel.
- Drug Interactions: Be cautious if you are taking insulin, diabetes medications, diuretics, or digoxin as too much vinegar can interfere with these drugs. Be sure to check with your health-advisor before adding apple cider vinegar into your daily regimen.