beri beri is a caused by a diet which is deficient in vitamin B1. So if your diet of foods rich in vitamins then you are less likely to develop this . Today, cases of beriberi are mostly found in those who drink heavily. Abuse of can result in poor nutrition as it makes it difficult for the to absorb and store B1.or
What is Beriberi?
Beriberi is acharacterized by a group of exhibited by who are deficient in vitamin B1, also known as . Therefore, it usually malnourished individuals, particularly in countries.
There are two kinds of beriberi that include:
- Wet beriberi: This type of thiamine may lead to .
- Dry beriberi: This results in necrosis and wearing down of the system.
If left untreated, it may causefailure, necrosis of , or Wernicke’s Korsakoff syndrome.
Apart from nutrient-deficient causes include the following:, there are several major causes of beriberi. Some of the
- and usage of a heavy dose of
- Poor absorption of from the diet
- Chronic alcoholism
- Breastfeeding: , lacking the vitamin may pass on the deficiency to their young ones
- Prolonged difficulties during
Most of theprocesses are affected by this thiamine deficiency disease and can be detected at early stages. If proper treatment and an adequate diet are taken in a timely manner, complexities which appear due to the involvement of sensitive nervous and systems can be recovered.
The following symptoms are characteristic of beriberi:
- Mental confusion due to polyneuritis (inflammation of several neurons)
- & related
- Increased heart rate
- Difficulty in
- Loss of
- Easily fatigued, apathetic, and experiences difficulty when walking
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Wasting of , , and in body parts
- anorexia, and abdominal pain , ,
The loss in ability to sense vibrations,, nerve , and are commonly observed in chronic and severe stages.