Cancer is one of the leading causes of death around the . According to WHO, it causes 8.2 million that are not related to communicable every year.
What is Cancer?
is a disease characterized by the presence of continuously dividing . Cells are induced to divide due to certain external or internal . Initially, the of cells is , detectable, and removable, it is called a . A benign tumor can be treated or removed via surgery. However, if the cells have traveled to distant parts via the or system, and started their division again, it forms a tumor or cancer. This cannot be cured and often ends in the death of an individual.
There are different types of cancer; these include the cancer of the skin, , blood, , , , and more. There are almost as many types as there are in our body. Let us look at some of the most common ones in detail.
- Breast Cancer: This is one of the most common types of invasive cancer in milk ducts. Around 18.5% of the overall breast cancer cases result in death over the globe every year, one of the causes being the and habits of a person. include a visible lump on or around the breast, of the breast , and in the armpit, bloody discharge from the nipples, and change in the texture of nipple. . It starts off with a malignant tumor either in the lobules or the
- Lung Cancer: growth of malignant tissue in the is the cause of lung cancer or lung carcinoma. It is the number one cause of death in the US. The biggest cause is exposure to , be it passive or direct. Symptoms of lung cancer include shortness of , difficulty in swallowing, chest pain, , , coughing up blood, and more.
- Prostate Cancer: Prostate cancer begins in the of the body, which is only found in , and therefore only men are affected by this type. Most men with this disease usually go undiagnosed throughout their life, until death. This is due to its very slow progression and rather common symptoms.
- Skin Cancer: Skin cancer is caused by a malignant growth of the skin and is also called carcinoma, which means a cancer of outer cover-forming HIV, , and other medications. . There are three major types of skin ; basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. All these are commonly caused by exposure to harmful UV rays from the or , from x-ray , and immunosuppression as a result of
Cancer can manifest in a variety of different types based on itsor mode of cell growth. Some other widely occurring types include the following:
- Leukemia: Cancer of blood-forming cells.
- Lymphoma: Cancer of the system cells.
- Sarcoma: Cancer of the tissues like and blood vessels.
- CNS cancer: Cancer of the components of the central system like the and .
Cancer can be caused by a number of factors, these include environmental, lifestyle, and other behavioral patterns. Here, we discuss all the major, minor, and common factors that can lead to this deadly condition.
- Carcinogens: are cancer-causing substances which include chemicals or physical and biological agents. Although the presence of carcinogens is harmful, it doesn’t mean that every carcinogen may necessarily cause cancer. Other factors like the amount of exposure and genetic background have an equal on the of this condition.
- Smoking and tobacco: Smoking and tobacco are enumerated as one of the biggest causes of cancer. They can cause lung, , , , , and tract cancer. Even those who are indirectly exposed to smoke are at a of it. It is also believed that cigarette smoke is indirectly responsible for , , and cancer. Having said that, it’s not exactly tobacco that causes it, but rather the carcinogens or chemicals present in it that may result in this condition. These include , lead, benzene, monoxide, , etc.
- Diet and physical activity: Another cancer-causing factor is a sodium, sugar, etc. can trigger , which can thereby result in cancer. Therefore, it is very important to pay proper attention to what you’re eating and how you’re physically yourself to get rid of these toxins. diet that has chemical in it. A diet filled with ,
- Radiation from the sun: There are many places where one can be exposed to , like the X-ray machines, mines, etc. But, they are not the most prominent cause of radiation based cancers. Too much exposure to UV rays from the sun can cause skin damage and also lead to skin cancer. This is not to say that the sun is harmful; it just means that too much exposure to anything, even otherwise beneficial to , can lead to drastic effects on your health.
- Viruses and infections: There are many human papillomavirus, Epstein-Barr, etc. In developing and regions like and Africa, the risk of increases; like Clonorchis , Schistosoma haematobium, etc. Therefore, it is important that you live in proper conditions and drink clean to avoid these . and diseases that can cause cancer, if not paid proper attention. These include hepatitis B, hepatitis C,
Other than these factors, it can also be a result ofor . Though, rare, it can also be .
There are different symptoms of cancer in both men and. They are sometimes clearly visible and other times hard to notice. Some of the common symptoms include:
- Unusual discharge from the body
- Lumps at the place of the tumor
- Changes in the bladder or movements
- Slow healing of
- Changes in shape or size of existing moles
Symptoms in women
- Breast Cancer: Any changes in the breast, like the formation of any lumps, nipple discharge, puckering of the breast skin
- Ovarian Cancer: Excessive bloating that continues for more than two weeks, accompanied by weight loss and
- Other: menopause can also be indicators. or bleeding between periods, or bleeding after
Symptoms in men
- Changes in , including difficulty in , straining while urinating, blood in , etc.
- Pain and tenderness in the bone and lower .
- Excessive coughing, blood in the fever. Blood in the mucus can also be a symptom of lung cancer. , without a stuffed or
- Presence of lumps on the testicles.