Créme de Menthe is not the most common type ofbehind your home bar, but it does play a key role in a number of famous .
What is Créme de Menthe?
Créme de Menthe is an mint and sugar. The term ‘créme’ refers to the alcohol’s syrupy consistency from the added sugar. These alcohols do not contain cream and are transparent in color. There are three main ingredients in this liqueur: alcohol, sugar, and mint. Corsican mint or peppermint are two of the common varieties used. The taste of the alcohol gives a cooling sensation, even when drunk at room temperature.that is flavored with
In this day and age, many people wonder whether Créme de Menthe is gluten-free, and the answer is yes! This popular alcohol is made by infusing neutral liquor (essentially vodka), which can be made from grains. Research indicates that all gluten properties are removed during distillation, although some people with severe celiac have reported negative reactions. There are two main types of this alcohol, green and white, but the only difference is color. Green créme de menthe is usually dyed with food coloring. At 25% alcohol by volume (or 50 proof), this is a relatively low ABV liqueur.
A capped bottle of Créme de Menthe will stay safe to drink forever, but some alcohol may evaporate over time, which could alter the flavor a bit. but it’s less sweet and has a higher alcohol content. You can use either but may want to adjust your measurements to keep the cocktails tasting right.schnapps is similar to this liqueur,
This spirit is not a significant source of anyor . It has 14 grams of sugar and approximately 125 per 1 ounce serving.
There are many amazing substitutes of creme de menthe. Let us take a look.
- Mint Italian Soda Syrup: This is a combination of sugar, water, and mint that you can substitute for créme de Menthe in cooking or in “mocktails”.
- Non-alcoholic Peppermint Extract: Use 1 teaspoon per ⅓ cup créme de Menthe called for. Just a dash in a cocktail will provide a huge flavor boost. Add simple syrup or liquid to replace the moisture and sugar.
- Grapefruit Juice: For a more bitter, flavor in your cocktail, try this replacement with some fresh muddled mint.
How to Make Crème de Menthe?
Let us take a look at how to make creme de menthe below.
Homemade Créme de Menthe Recipe
- 1 cup of torn mint leaves
- 1 cup of water
- 1.5 cups of vodka
- 0.5 cup of sugar
- 0.5 cup of fresh mint leaves
- To make Créme de Menthe, place 1 cup of torn mint leaves into 1.5 cups of vodka and steep overnight, then strain.
- Make a simple syrup by boiling ½ cup of sugar with 1 cup of water. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Combine infused vodka, simple syrup, and ½ cup of fresh mint leaves and steep overnight.
- Strain completely, removing all particles. Enjoy in cocktails and in the baking process!
Connect with Us
If you have tried the recipe, we would love your feedback in the comments section below. And while we can’t taste it, we would love to see how it turned out! You can connect with us on Facebook or Instagram and tag your picture with #organicfactsrecipes.