The latest internet sensation, dalgona coffee, has got almost everyone to lose their culinary virginity. It seems like a siren call no one is able to resist. And why not? A coffee-flavored cloud on top of chilled milk is a thing of beauty. Most people are in love with this coffee for its photogenic quality, not to forget that it is delicious as well.
The origin and rise of dalgona coffee is an interesting story. Dalgona coffee was first mentioned in January 2020, on a Korean TV show, by the actor Jung Il-woo. He talked about enjoying a whipped coffee in Macau, which resembled the taste of a Korean sponge candy – dalgona. Jung called it dalgona coffee to describe it’s sweet, sugary flavor and that’s how a trendy, quarantine drink came into being. In no time, this coffee became a celebrity on social media platforms like Tiktok, Instagram, and Youtube. From amateur food bloggers to people who never even knew cooking, everyone gave it a whirl while staying at home.
Whether you are yet to perform the dalgona challenge or you have not mastered the ideal froth, we have you covered with some basic tips followed by a perfect recipe.
How to Make Dalgona Coffee?
Making whipped coffee is a fairly simple thing. Mix equal parts sugar, hot water, and coffee and whisk them until it reaches a stiff peak status. Add it on top of warm or cold milk. Your quarantine drink is ready!
But before you actually start making it, have a look at these important tips that will ensure you end up with a lovely glass of dalgona coffee.
Sugar: Avoid using fine sugar and sugar alternatives like honey and syrups. Always opt for a crystalized version as it helps you achieve a creamy consistency.
Coffee: Stick to instant coffee. Using already made espresso, grainy coffee, or freshly ground coffee may not give you the desired texture.
Water: Adding too much water can make the froth sink in the milk. Stick to the quantity mentioned in the recipe and you’ll have a perfect coffee crown for your milk.
4-Ingredient Dalgona Coffee Recipe
- To start with, add coffee, sugar, and water to a bowl. Mix them well using a spoon.
- Now, using your handheld mixer or stick blender, whisk the blend for 3-4 minutes. You want a velvety and creamy consistency, so whisk till you achieve that.
- Once done, add ice cubes to two serving glasses and pour milk in them. Add a large dollop of the freshly whipped coffee on the milk and serve!
Taste and Texture
Dalgona coffee tastes slightly bitter initially but has a sweet aftertaste. It has a soft and velvety texture and looks like coffee-flavored cream. You can have it directly, pop in a straw and enjoy the beverage slowly, or you can mix the froth into the milk after taking pictures of your success.
Whipped Beverages Inspired by Dalgona Coffee
If you like whipped coffee, here are other cool ways to create an interesting beverage.
- Creamy strawberry milk: Mix 1 tbsp of sweetened strawberry powder with 4 tbsp of heavy whipping cream till you get a fluffy consistency. Serve it over cold or hot milk.
- Whipped matcha milk: Combine 3-4 tbsps of coconut whipping cream, 1 tbsp of matcha powder, and 2 tbsp of sugar to create a green cloud for your cup of milk. Loved it so match-a, right?
- Exotic golden milk: Made by using 3-4 tbsps of coconut whipping cream and 1 tbsp of golden milk powder, we want to rename this bright beverage sunrise. Try it, you won’t regret.
- Chocolate surprise: Blend or whip 1/2 tsp of cocoa, 1 tsp of sugar, and 3 tbsp of heavy whipping cream. Serve over a glass of ice with your favorite milk!
Have you tried making dalgona coffee? Let us know how it turned out in the comments below. Also, if you are recreating a unique whipped drink, do share the recipe with us here.