As the exterior covering on our skin is also vulnerable to and like dermatitis that may be caused due to of foreign origin. The condition with , which include , crusted , gray or yellow around the , red and caused due to an , among others., the
What is Dermatitis?
condition that causes itching and inflammation. It is derived from the Greek word “derma” (skin) and “titis” (inflammation). The rashes are itchy, red and don’t follow distinctive patterns/margins. The appearance of the rash varies with how long the rash . Depending on the , dermatitis can be classified as either acute or chronic dermatitis.is a skin
- Acute dermatitis: Manifests as , crusting, and , particularly in those with subacute dermatitis.
- Chronic dermatitis: Sufferers experience hardening or of the skin, also known as lichenification.
Types and Causes
Several types of dermatitis have been distinguished by their responsible agents or. Some of the most common types include:
- Atopic dermatitis (AD): This type results in long-term asthma, hay fever, and eczema. to the skin. Sufferers can develop reactions that include
- Seborrheic dermatitis: It is a condition in which scales of white and yellow color occur for people with an oily skin type. The usual affected areas include scalp, , , and chest. It is called cradle cap when it occurs in and is often the name used for older people.
- Allergic contact dermatitis (ACD): This type appears as an allergic reaction after one is exposed to certain types of allergens and .
- Irritant contact dermatitis (ICD): This occurs due to exposure to various .
- Stasis dermatitis: It is also called gravitational dermatitis because of how it demonstrates or develops in the body. It gradually increases from ankles. and and is the highest at the
- Diaper dermatitis: This type is caused by wearing wet for longer periods of time, which the skin.
- Dyshidrotic dermatitis: This type is characterized by reddening, scaling, and small but deep blisters on the and .
- Nummular dermatitis: In this type, round and itchy patches are known to appear at random places on the body. In worse conditions, the patches can ooze out and crusting can appear. It is prevalent among old people with dry skin or people that live in dry areas.
- Auto-sensitization dermatitis: This type occurs when different types of skin abrasions appear on the skin due to infections. These can develop into .
- Lichen simplex dermatitis (LSC): Skin rashes appear because of intense , which can also lead to skin thickening.
Although every type has different symptoms, some are common to all:
- Atopic dermatitis: , intense itching
- Stasis dermatitis: Crushed skin appearing on the lower legs/around the
- Seborrheic dermatitis: Greyish, yellow scales in and around the ears, on the scalp, or near the eyebrows
- Contact dermatitis: A red rash limited to a certain area indicates exposure to an irritant
- Nummular dermatitis: Red, itchy, circular patches of crushed skin
- Cradle cap: In , a thick and scalp rash is occasionally accompanied by a diaper rash