This common condition can range in severity and consists of acid rising up into the and damaging the and walls there, causing discomfort and . Acid reflux disease (as it will be referred to for the rest of the article) is probably the most common or problem as 10% and 20% of America suffers from this condition in one form or another.
When the sleep , and various other factors.sphincter doesn’t close properly, it allows the acid to come up and cause GERD. This functional failure can be a result of , the use of certain , hernias,
The major symptom of acid reflux disease is warning sign that you may be developing acid reflux disease., which anyone can suffer from time to time, but chronic, painful heartburn is the biggest
While the major red flag is the heartburn, as that is the direct sensation of that stomach acid on the esophageal tissues, otherinclude:
- Painful swallowing
- Chest pain
- Bad breath
Gastroenterologists might make use of one or more of the following tests to confirm acid reflux disease:
- Esophageal pH and impedance monitoring: This test is used to measure levels of acid in the This measures the esophagus while or .
- Upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscope: A tube with a camera attached is inserted into the esophagus. A small tissue may also be extracted in a biopsy.
- Upper GI series: This is an X-ray of the upper digestive system that will examine if there are physical that might cause GERD.
- Esophageal manometry: This measures esophageal contractions while swallowing. It can also measure the sphincter functioning.
- Bravo wireless esophageal pH monitoring: A small temporary capsule is attached to the esophagus to continuously monitor the acidity for about 48 hours.
There are plenty of medications andthat can reduce the discomfort and of acid reflux disease , but many prefer to take care of this problem at home, which is entirely possible if your case isn’t severe.