What is High Fructose Corn Syrup?
High fructose desirable and versatile sweetener that can be added to in an easier way than traditional sugar. It is also extremely cheap to make, given the massive amounts of corn that is produced every year around the .syrup is a concentrated and widely popular made from corn that has had some of its converted into fructose. This a very
There are variousof this corn syrup, depending on the percentage of fructose it contains. For example, most contain HFCS 55, whereas HFCS is more commonly found in and goods. There is a great deal of debate over the effects of consuming high levels of this corn syrup, but it remains one of the most ubiquitous in commonly purchased .
High Fructose Corn Syrup Foods
The most common foods that contain this concentrated form of corn syrup include the following:
High Fructose Corn Syrup Health Risks
There are quite a fewto consuming an excess of HFCS, including gaining , elevated , leaky gut , and high , among others.
Fatty Liver Disease
When there is an excess of fructose in the , it will be sent to the , which can cause it to be stored as , resulting in lipogenesis and eventually, fatty liver .
Numerous researchers have found that drinking sweetened with high fructose corn syrup will increase blood pressure more than beverages.
Leaky Gut Syndrome
When extra fructose needs to be handled by the gut, it can take more to metabolize, and deplete the of our lining, leading to a leaky gut syndrome, in some cases.
High Fructose Corn Syrup vs Sugar
- HFCS: Although HFCS is derived from corn starch, it begins as pure glucose, and then are added to it, typically resulting in roughly 45% glucose and 55% fructose.
- Regular sugar: However, this is made up of 50% glucose and 50% fructose. This slight difference in fructose concentration doesn’t make a huge difference in terms of flavor or sweetness, although technically fructose is “sweeter” than glucose.
Generally speaking, these two substances have similar effects on the body, and should always be consumed in moderation.
Alternatives to High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Raw Honey: There are only 20 per teaspoon, and it is even sweeter than sugar!
- Stevia: There are zero calories in , but it is at least 200 times sweeter than sugar.
- Dates: A single date only contains 20 calories, but it has an unusual sweetness and fiber!
- Maple Syrup: There are 52 calories in one tablespoon of , which is also sweeter than sugar.
- Coconut Sugar: There are 15 calories in one teaspoon of sugar.