15 Useful Ways to Prevent Cancer
Some of the most effective ways to prevent cancer includes the use of whole grains, garlic, berries, tomatoes, green tea, spinach, turmeric, beans, coffee, ginger, and oregano as well as behavioral changes such as quitting smoking, exercising regularly, getting regular checkups, and losing weight.
In recent decades, it seems like nothing strikes fear in the heart so much as the sound of cancer. The “Big C” causes nearly 15% of all human deaths around the world – between 8 and 10 million per year, on average. Cancer comes in many forms, and more than 100 have been identified thus far, and it seems like new varieties appear every year. By definition, cancer is a malignant tumor or a mass of mutated cells that can grow and metastasize within the body, compromising organ system function and eventually leading to death. Cancer is the most heavily researched disease in the world, and more than $1 trillion is spent on cancer treatment and infrastructure around the world each year. Unfortunately, every cancer is slightly different, as it attacks the body differently in almost every case, and can mutate to protect itself, making consistent or universal treatment nearly impossible.
Different varieties of cancer have significantly different mortality rates; for example, the one-year survival rate of pancreatic cancer is 25%, whereas the five-year survival rate for thyroid cancer is 97%). This means that many types of cancer can be “treated” and “sent into remission”, and there are many different treatments that have been tried. Chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, and surgery are the most commonly used strategies in formal medical situations, but there are many side effects and no guarantee of remission. Having cancer is a tragedy that strikes millions, so prevention is highly recommended. There is no telling when or in what form cancer will strike, so behavioral and dietary strategies for prevention are your best bet. Now, let’s take a look at 15 of the best ways to reduce your risk of cancer.
15 Useful Ways to Prevent Cancer
1. Whole Grains: One of the most widely recommended anti-cancer dietary staples is whole grains, namely due to the high content of fiber and antioxidants. One of the more common forms of cancer is colorectal cancer, and whole grains have been directly linked to preventing the development of this cancer variety. There is a low glycemic load in whole grains and wheat, rather than things like white bread, potatoes, and other foods that increase your blood sugar rapidly.
2. Regular Exercise: Exercising regularly is a great way for your body to clean out toxins, release endorphins, boost your metabolism, and improve your immune system. All of these things are important for cancer prevention, as you need a well-oiled machine to fight off the constant barrage of carcinogens in our food, atmosphere, and personal lifestyle habits, such as smoking and drinking.
3. Garlic: The most famous active ingredient of garlic is allicin, which has been directly linked to a reduction in cancerous cells, and it appears to reduce the spread of cancerous cells, even inducing apoptosis (automatic cell death). Allicin is a powerful antioxidant substance that can help lower your chances of many types of cancers, including cancer of the esophagus, colon, and stomach.
4. Berries: Eating fruits and vegetables is a fundamental way to prevent cancer, but berries, in particular, have a high concentration of antioxidant nutrients and compounds that can prevent cancer from ever developing, such as anthocyanins, tannins, and flavonols. Some of the best berries to prevent cancer are blueberries, which are often referred to as a “superfood” – and with good reason!
5. Quit Smoking: More than 20% of cancer deaths are related to smoking in some way, so quitting is one of the first things to do if you want to prevent the onset of cancer later in life (or sooner than you think!). Cigarettes are packed with dangerous toxins and carcinogens that can greatly increase your chances of developing cancer – and not just lung cancer. More than a dozen other cancers have been linked to smoking, even those not related to the respiratory system.
6. Tomatoes: Lycopene is a powerful active ingredient inside tomatoes that has shown a great deal of antioxidant abilities. Most notably, lycopene has been linked to the prevention of prostate cancer in men, which is the most deadly cancer for men around the world. Additional research into tomatoes’ impact on other cancers is ongoing.
7. Green Tea: The catechins and epicatechins found in green tea make it a wonderful addition to your diet for many different health reasons, but in terms of cancer, green tea is an ideal preventative medicine. Those antioxidant compounds have been shown to directly reduce the size of tumors and prevent the spread of mutated cells, helping it stop cancer before it ever starts!
8. Reduce Alcohol Intake: Excessive alcohol consumption can weaken your immune system, compromise your liver, and generally promote toxicity within the body. Although some people say that one drink a day can improve overall heart health, alcohol consumption does increase the risk of throat, liver, esophagus, and mouth cancer, so beware of how much you drink!
9. Spinach: Green leafy vegetables have always been praised for their health benefits, namely due to its content of lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene, and in terms of cancer, these antioxidant compounds can limit the growth of cancerous cells, and promote overall health of the body.
10. Turmeric: The active ingredient of turmeric, a popular spice, is curcumin, which has been directly linked to apoptosis of cancerous cells, namely by preventing the flow of blood and nutrients to affected areas in the body. This spice has effects in many health conditions, but is often recommended for passive prevention – so add it to some of your meals!
11. Lose Weight: Obesity puts excess strain on all of the body’s systems, and can lead to other health conditions like diabetes and heart disease. When the body is weakened, it is easier for free radicals to strike. Therefore, losing some weight, or at least preventing obesity, remains one of the wisest and most effective ways to prevent cancer.
12. Coffee: There has been a great deal of debate about the benefits or dangers of coffee in recent years, but there is no denying that caffeine does have its benefits in battling brain, throat, and oral cancer. Everything in moderation, as always, but having two cups of coffee can be a major cancer preventer, provided you keep yourself hydrated as well, and don’t become too dependent on that caffeine boost.
13. Ginger: Ginger has a number of active ingredients that make it so useful in keeping the body healthy, including gingerol and zingerone, which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These can neutralize free radicals before they can ever cause your body harm, thereby protecting against a wide range of cancers.
14. Reduce Stress: Stress hormones can be helpful in some situations, but very dangerous if they are present in your body for long periods of time. They can weaken your immune system, exhaust your mind, increase oxidative stress, and compromise your metabolic activity. By relaxing and reducing anxiety, you can greatly prevent your chances of developing many varieties of this tragic condition.
15. Oregano: Oregano is able to neutralize carcinogens in the body, due to the presence of carvacrol, the active ingredient of this herb. Research has linked oregano to a slower spread of cancerous cells, and a reduction in size of tumors.