Kirsch may not be the most commonat your local bar, but it is beloved in certain parts of the world.
What is Kirsch?
Kirsch is a clear cherry’ in . It is also called ‘Kirschwasser’, which means ‘ water’. Due to this connection to cherry, many people wonder whether cherry brandy is the same as this alcohol, but there are distinct differences between kirsch and cherry , and they are not interchangeable. To make kirschwasser, morello cherries are mashed with their stones and allowed to , then distilled into a clear liquor that has the flavor of cherries, but is not sweet.whose name means ‘
Cherry brandy, on the other hand, can contain artificial colors or variety of brandy may be an liquor with a great flavor, or it could look (and taste) like cough syrup.. This
There are a number of kirsch substitutes available if you don’t have this liquor on hand, although including this alcohol in a recipe doesn’t come up particularly often.
- Fruit brandies or cognac: Use equal portions of these liquors for a similar result.
- Vodka: Try a cherry-flavored vodka, but reduce any added sugar.
- Cherry juice or apple juice: You’ll get the moisture and flavor, but should reduce any additional sugar in your recipe.
- White wine: This is best used when making fondue. A dry white wine that is high in acid will help keep your fondue smooth and creamy.
- Cherry syrup or cherry preserves: These are great in , particularly for treats like a black forest cake or a cherry tart.
This alcohol is used in baking and enjoyed in a number of. It can be substituted in our daily diet with other alcohols when a chemical reaction or flambe is required, or with juices and syrups for cherry or fruit flavors.