Using phytoplankton supplements is growing in popularity, thanks to its dense nutrient profile and proven health benefits.
What is Phytoplankton?
Phytoplanktons are microscopic organisms that form an important part of the plankton ecosystem in the world’s oceans, seas, and freshwater sources and support marine life. They form the bottom rung of almost every food chain in the marine world and are too small to see with the naked eye. Phytoplankton come in many different shapes and forms, but all are self-feeding (autotrophic) organisms. In recent years, phytoplankton supplements have gained recognition for their effects on human health.
In terms of nutrition, these plankton species are packed with complete proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, trace minerals, antioxidants, and key amino acids. The concentrated nature of these microorganisms makes them an ideal dietary supplement for people who want a strong healthy boost.
The key benefits of phytoplankton are the following:
- Detoxifies the body
- Improves mood
- Anticancer Potential
- Promotes cell regeneration
- Strengthens immunity
- Boosts heart health
- Improves liver health
Let us discuss them in detail below.
Due to the energizing and revitalizing effects of this supplement, phytoplankton is known as an effective anti-depressant and can minimize mood swings or depressive episodes.
While it is not an alternative treatment, a 2016 research published in the Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine journal has studied the extract of these marine microalgae for its anticancer potential. It concludes that phytoplankton could be helpful in reducing metastasis and could thus be considered for being developed into therapeutic agents, subject to further research.
Detoxify the Body
Using this type of plankton can stimulate the kidneys and also flush the body of excess toxins, thanks to its boosting effect on the immune system and its impressive concentration of antioxidants.
Studies have found that phytoplankton can be directly absorbed by the cells that the body needs, and doesn’t require processing by the liver, which can reduce the strain on one of your body’s hardest-working organs.
People who take these supplements have higher T-cell counts, which means their immune system is working more effectively.
Some of the most valuable phytoplankton varieties contain nearly every nutrient the body requires for cellular growth. So if you use the very best supplements, you can greatly stimulate cellular regeneration for healing and growth.
How to Use Phytoplankton?
The two main forms of these supplements are liquid or powder.
- Powdered form: Most experts recommend the powdered form, which can be grown in a stress-free environment and slowly dried into a usable, concentrated powder.
- Liquid form: This form is inherently diluted to a certain degree, and will not deliver a concentrated dose of this microorganism.
Phytoplankton Side Effects
Due to the incredibly concentrated nature of this microorganic supplement, you only need a very small amount for it to have an effect.
- Marine Toxicity: Be sure you know the source of your supplement, since marine toxicity is a real threat to phytoplankton, and can result in severe side effects if consumed.
- Pregnancy & Breastfeeding: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, your body is even more susceptible to potential dangers from this supplement, so it should be avoided.
- Drug Interactions: Be sure to speak with your doctor about any potential drug interactions when taking this supplement, particularly if you suffer from an autoimmune disease.