Using tea tree oil for lice treatment is an extremely effective way to keep your hair free from the symptoms of lice like itching and skin bumps. It is rich in insecticidal and antimicrobial properties that further aids in eliminating head lice infestation. For best results, you should know exactly how to use it.
Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil For Lice
Using tea tree oil for head lice treatment has the following benefits.
According to research, tea tree oil can kill lice in the nymph and adult stages of life. It also reduces the number of lice eggs that are hatched so that they do not grow and irritate you further.
Research suggests that a 1 percent solution of tea tree oil can completely eliminate lice from your head. At the same time, you should also be aware that an increased concentration of tea tree oil may result in many side effects.
Tea tree oil prevents the hair follicles from getting clogged, thereby nourishing roots and promoting hair growth.
Tea tree oil has potent healing compounds that speed up healing and make your scalp as healthy as before.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Lice Treatment
The following are steps to naturally prepare and apply tea tree oil in order to eliminate lice from your head.
- Step 1: Mix 3 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil.
- Step 2: Massage your hair thoroughly with this solution. Then using a comb that is fine-toothed, comb your hair gently.
- Step 3: Now allow the oil to set in for about 2 hours. After this, comb your hair and have it rinsed thoroughly to remove the oil completely.
- Step 4: To saturate your hair, apply a mixture of 1 cup of water and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar. You can use a hairspray bottle to apply this mixture. Another round of rinsing and combing should follow this.
- Step 5: Finally, apply some coconut oil and allow it to settle. Make sure you follow this entire procedure once a week for a month to ensure that all lice and eggs are killed.
Note: You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo to get rid of lice.
Tea Tree Oil for Children
Tea tree oil is well-known for being very strong even if it is mixed with a carrier oil so avoid using it on infants younger than six months. In the case of children above six months, make sure you carefully do a patch test on them to see if they are allergic.
Word of Caution: Do not directly apply tea tree oil to your hair or skin as it may result in severe burns.