soybeans that essentially helps in maintaining . It also a wealth of different health benefits, including a lower risk of cancer, anemia, osteoporosis, and kidney diseases, as well as lower cholesterol levels. It is a good source of protein, eases menopause , and prevents hair loss.is a byproduct of
What is Tofu?
Tofu, also known as curd, is a food prepared by pressing coagulated milk into flat white blocks. It has been a common ingredient in global , such as , for many centuries. This power-packed food substitute is ideal for and vegans all around the because it contains no of products of any kind – it is a pure organic food that a wealth of nutritive value in a variety of delicious ways. The name comes from the Japanese word “tofu”, but it is widely enjoyed in many countries for its extremely nutritious composition.
- Tofu has a very low- count, which makes it an attractive option for who want to lose .
- It contains a very small amount of sodium and almost no . , but a large amount of . Furthermore, it has very low levels of
- In terms of vitamins and minerals, tofu is a rich source of iron, magnesium, copper, phosphorous, and it also has good amounts of calcium and potassium.
- There are even trace amounts of zinc, which is an essential for health.
- The mainly consist of isoflavones, which have a wide impact on health. compounds found in tofu
- On the significant levels of vitamin C, , riboflavin, and vitamin B6. side of nutrition, it has
- It also contains smaller amounts of pantothenic acid and niacin.
Health Benefits of Tofu
The health benefits of tofu include its ability to help lower cholesterol levels, preventand manage weight, among others.
Lowers Cholesterol Level
Consuming tofu reduces the cholesterol level in the . Additionally, using tofu as an alternative to the animal protein can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol in the body. As compared to meats such as , tofu has lower levels of fatty acids and higher levels of fatty acids. It is also a good source of and acid, which helps regulate the metabolism, along with the dispersion and elimination of cholesterol deposits in the body.
Maintains Cardiovascular Health
Intake of tofu also aids in managing weight effectively. A study suggests that soy-based low-calorie have a beneficial effect on reduction of weight and blood .
Eases Menopause Symptoms
The organic compounds in tofu, namely, are in managing the symptoms of in . Isoflavones are plant-based compounds that mimic the in the body. Tofu can help the estrogen levels during menopause and relieve hot .
The isoflavones in tofu are well known to be beneficial in reducing the risk of different types of cancer. Research suggests that a higher intake of products such as tofu helps prevent endometrial in post- women. It has also been associated with a reduction in , , and prostate cancer.
Tofu is a rich source of , which is the key ingredient in formation. This is why the intake of tofu is highly recommended. Lack of calcium in the body could lead to , especially in old age. Consuming tofu slows down the entire process by keeping the strong.
Treats Kidney Diseases
Tofu, being an excellent source of study conducted in China also showed that tofu helped lower the risk of anemia among ., can help prevent anemia. of iron causes a drop in the number of red blood leading to anemia. A
Tofu is also known to improve and function for women above 65-years age. The lecithin content present in tofu helps the body produce the phospholipids phosphatidic acid (PA) and phosphatidylserine (PS), which aid in the normal functioning of the neurons.
People use tofu to preventloss issues as it provides , a protein essential for hair . So, dump those expensive hair and add tofu to your diet.
Rich in Protein
Tofu, other soy products, and vegetables are a great source of protein for and vegetarians. They also provide the required acids, which are beneficial for maintaining optimal health.
Research on tofu suggests that it is a preferable source of protein, especially for gout with acid clearance more than the lower normal limit. However, they are advised to avoid excess intake of tofu.
- Gut damage: Majority of soy-products including tofu available in the market are . Genetically modified tofu can cause kidney , problems and liver issues too. These GMO products pose many risks to health as they kill the good in the gut.
- Thyroid issue: According to a report, who are fed soy-diet are more susceptible to problems, especially those that are born with hypothyroidism. Therefore, those from are advised to avoid consumption of soy-bean and soy-products including tofu.
- Breast tumor: The phytoestrogen present in tofu acts like estrogen hormone. When tofu is consumed in excess, it blocks the production of estrogen in the body. Therefore, those women who have a family history of breast cancer and those who are currently battling breast cancer should avoid consuming tofu.
- Food allergy: Some people may experience allergic to soy products. reactions. So avoid the intake of tofu in case you are
How to Select and Store Tofu?
There are several types available in the supermarket. The more theis pressed out during the making of tofu, the firmer it gets. With a lesser water content, the fat and protein content in the tofu goes up.
Types of Tofu
- Silken tofu: It is also known as Japanese-style tofu. It is egg substitute in . and soft in texture and has a very high water content. It is usually used in , , , and , and it can also be used as an
- Regular tofu: It has a spongy texture and can be sold as soft, medium, firm, and super firm depending on its water content. Firm tofu is generally used for stir- and it can even be or . Extra firm tofu well as a meat substitute and can be crumbled to work as mock meat in . The soft variety is used in or in a tofu scramble.
- Seasoned tofu: It is already pre- with different flavors such as barbeque or teriyaki.
- Smoked tofu: Traditionally, this kind of tofu was tea leaves, but now it is done over beechwood. This kind of tofu has a rich, deep flavor and can be eaten raw as an appetizer or added to a . over
- Fermented tofu: It is a briny, creamy tofu which has been rice or . . It is served as a dip for fresh or can be used to season
Buy tofu depending on the kind of dish you want to use it for!
Tips for Storing Tofu
Here are some tips for storing tofu once you buy it.
- Rinse it before consuming it.
- Just like any other food, once the container is opened, it should be in order to keep it .
- Changing the water inside the container helps in keeping the tofu fresh.
How to Eat Tofu?
It can be used in eitheror savory dishes and can be prepared in a wide variety of ways. Most use it because of its subtle flavor, which is necessary when the intention is to bring out the other types of tastes and flavors contained in that particular food.
Quick Serving Ideas
- Miso Soup – Add tofu to miso soup, along with vegetables or .
- Stir Fry – Stir fry tofu with your favorite vegetables or salt and other herbs and spices as per taste. and season with
- Breakfast – Blend a mixture of tofu and fruits, such as blueberries and bananas, to make a healthy smoothie.
Have a happy tofu!