How To Make Spiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Titillate your taste buds with this sinfully delicious dessert!
Cook Time1 hr
Passive Time1 hr
Total Time2 hrs
Servings: 8 people
- 1/2 fresh pineapple either into rings or segments
- 125 gm soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 150 gm self-raising flour sifted
- 50 gm plain flour sifted
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp soda bicarbonate
- 100 ml milk
- Dried pineapple ‘flowers’ (optional) These can be made by cutting wafer thin slices of pineapple and drying out in a low oven (90 degrees for 2-3 hours)
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- A generous glug of spiced rum
To make the caramel, place the butter, mixed spice and sugar into a pan and warm until the butter is completely melted and the sugar bubbling. Set it aside till it cools down.
Prepare your tin and line thoroughly with greaseproof paper.
Now, remove the skin of the pineapple and cut them either into rings (if using a round tin) or into segments (if using a loaf tin).
Place your pineapple into the base of the tin and pour over the cooled caramel.
Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C.
To make the cake cream, beat the butter and sugar until they turn fluffy and light. Thereafter, add the eggs, one by one, and then add the spices, flour, and bicarb. Mix until combined and then add the milk, mixing slowly until you have a glossy & smooth cake batter.
Pour it into a prepared tin and bake it in a preheated oven for 45 mins.
Leave it to cool for 10 minutes before you put it into a refrigerator.
To make the cream, whip it along with the icing sugar until soft peaks form in the mixture. Thereafter, add rum to it.
Serve with dried pineapple ‘flowers’ and spiced rum cream.
- This cake freezes well. So, just take off the dried pineapple flowers before freezing
- Seasonal alternatives include rhubarb & apple, use these fruits just the way pineapple is used in this recipe.
- You can use a different flavor such as ginger. You can either use powdered ginger in the sponge cake or stem ginger in the topping.
- If you are serving it as a warm dessert, serve it with Rum & Raisin ice cream or a spiced custard.