How to Make Homemade Peanut or Satay Sauce?
Enjoy the creamy, spicy and flavorful taste of this peanut sauce!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 cup fresh and dry peanuts
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper/ Thai chili sauce (change measurements as per taste)
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce (for non-vegetarians) (adjust as per taste)
- 1.5-2.5 tbsp regular soy sauce (for vegetarians)
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste/lemon juice
To make satay sauce, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend well.
Blend the mixture well until the sauce develops a smooth consistency. If you want the sauce to be more watery, add extra water or coconut milk to it. Keep tasting the sauce as you prepare it so that you can change the proportions of the coconut milk/water and add the ingredients as per your preference.
Once done, serve satay sauce warm or at room temperature with delicious grilled chicken skewers. Juicy strips of chicken soaked in a flavorful Asian marinade and dipped in an equally appetizing satay sauce is all you need to make for a delightful meal!
- After blending all the ingredients, if the mixture is too salty, add fish sauce or soy sauce to tone down the taste.
- You can also add a tsp of fresh lemon juice or tamarind paste if it's too salty.
- If it isn't too spicy, you can add cayenne pepper or Thai chili sauce.
- If you don't wish to consume the satay sauce right away, you can refrigerate it. This way it can stay for 2 weeks. If you wish to keep it for a longer duration, it would be advisable to freeze it.