Yummy Chicken Shish Tawook Recipe
Try your hands at this popular middle-eastern grilled shish tawook recipe. Enjoy the succulent pieces of chicken perfectly marinated in a drool-worthy mix of yogurt, lemon, and garlic.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 lb chicken breast cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
For the Marinade
- 1 lemon juiced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For the Skewers
- 6-7 wooden skewers soaked in water
In a small bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
Place the cubed chicken into a flat, sealable container and pour the marinade over the chicken. Mix the chicken with the marinade to be sure all the pieces are well-coated.
Cover the container and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, up or overnight, whatever be your preference.
Preheat your grill to medium heat, roughly 350ºF. You should be able to hold your hand about 3 inches from the cooking grate for about 6-7 seconds.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the soaked skewers, pressing the pieces up against each other.
Grill the chicken skewers for 8-10 minutes each side, until the chicken is cooked golden.
Serve the shish tawook with pita bread and sliced tomatoes or with rice and grilled vegetables.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Marinade the chicken for a minimum of 4 hours, but preferably overnight in the refrigerator to allow the chicken to tenderize. It makes the chicken more juicy and flavorful.
- If you are using bamboo sticks for grilling, it is best advised to soak it in water for at least 30-45 minutes.
- You can reheat the skewers once, and if you do, it is best to cover with foil so that they don't dry out.
- You can substitute the spices used in this recipe with a za'atar spice mix if you so prefer, but this is solely based on your preference.