Handwashing Can Slow Down Epidemics: Study

by Prachee published on -

 Likes  Comments

Washing your hands before and after several tasks is a fundamental hygiene practice we’ve all learned as children, and yet we might often dismiss it as unnecessary. The results of a new study, which suggests that increasing the rate of handwashing can lead to a slower spread of epidemics, might convince us to be more diligent about this habit.

The paper makes some specific observations about the practice of washing hands and public health. It says that more people washing hands correctly at airports could stop or reduce the spread of several infectious diseases. It further found that focusing on improving handwashing rates at 10 chosen airports, based on outbreak location, could help bring down the disease spread.

“Seventy percent of the people who go to the toilet wash their hands afterward,” said Professor Christos Nicolaides, a fellow at the MIT Sloan School of Management. “The other 30 percent don’t. And of those that do, only 50 percent do it right. Eliciting an increase in hand-hygiene is a challenge,” he says, “but new approaches in education, awareness, and social-media nudges have proven to be effective in hand-washing engagement.”

Furthermore, the study suggests that having handwashing facilities such as sinks or washbasins outside of restrooms would be much more effective as compared to having them within the restrooms. This is because restrooms are comparatively contaminated spaces.

Based on their previous research, the team estimates that only 20 percent of the people in an airport have clean hands, with the other 80 percent consequently spreading contamination.  Proper handwashing involves doing it with soap and water for 15 seconds or more.

The research paper has been published in the Risk Analysis journal.

DMCA.com Protection Status
Last updated -
References
About the Author

Prachee is a content writer for Organic Facts and is responsible for writing on the latest wellness trends. A former Journalism & Media teacher, she prides herself on being able to seamlessly dabble between health, science, and technology. She has completed her Masters in Communication Studies from the University of Pune, India as well as an online course on “Introduction to Food and Health” from Stanford University, US. Prachee fancies herself to be a poet and a cook when the rare lightning of inspiration strikes.

Rate this article
Average rating 0.0 out of 5.0 based on 0 user(s).

Latest Health News:

A young man looking out of a window with a subdued expression

COVID-19 Has Increased Levels Of Anxiety & Stress In University Students

An online psychological test of university students in Italy during the COVID-19 outbreak revealed that all of them were in the clinical range for stress and…

READ MORE
A woman clinician injecting a young girl.

Increase Screening Of Asymptomatic People For COVID Control

With the coronavirus pandemic showing signs of slowing down, there is an increased need for precaution to ensure that it does not flare up again. New research,…

READ MORE
Group of wood figurines huddled together with one figure outside the group.

Pandemics, Epidemics Can Worsen Social Prejudices

A time of crisis can exacerbate our social prejudices, particularly bigotry and xenophobia. A study, published in the journal Proceedings of The Royal Society,…

READ MORE