Don’t know what a butter-knife looks like? Don’t worry, you are not alone! A third of the millennial cannot identify some of the basic kitchenware.
A research was conducted by the home improvement company Porch to find out which age group has a better grasp on daily cooking. 750 participants across all age groups participated in the survey. The team classified the participants into three groups based on their age:
- Baby Boomers: Those born between the 1940s and 1960s. They are the people born after the Second World War when there was a drastic rise in the birth rate.
- Generation X: Those born between the 1960s and 1980s. They are the people born during the societal shift in cultures and values.
- Millennials: Those born between the 1960s and 1980s. They are the 21st-century adults who lean towards a more liberal life and rely heavily on gadgets and technologies.
Millennials’ Messy Kitchen
Surprisingly, 36% of the millennials were unaware of what a butter knife is. Not just that, they were clueless about kitchen tools like a garlic press, hand blender, and a salad spinner too.
While you may chuck the results saying that the millennials are better off with the ready-mix; allow us to reveal some more shocking results. More than 70% of millennials do not know how to make salads and have trouble baking cakes from the store-bought cake mix and frosting. Forget about omelets, salmon, roast chicken, garlic bread, and broccoli. But there’s hope, they can cook chocolate chip cookies from ready-made dough better than the other two generations!
This tech generation also prefers ordering cooked food over home-cooking it. When cooking at home, 59% of them lean on YouTube, blogs, and video-tutorials for help. However, the fast-paced lifestyle has made them more efficient than baby boomers in preparing a week’s worth of meals.
But Here’s What Works
Although millennials have received a lot of bad press for their attitude, behavior, and liberalism; they aren’t as bad. Here are few things that millennials do better than any other generation:
- They take their diet seriously and approach nutritionists when needed.
- They (at least the majority) live a vegan life and thus eat more plants.
- They are the biggest followers of organic products as they choose a healthy life.
- They don’t hesitate to alter their diet to experiment the best fit.
- They spend more on health products and ensure to keep themselves fit.