Home Remedies for Edema
There are numerous home remedies for edema. Usage of mustard oil, crushed flax seeds and healthy diet are three of the most crucial ones. Edema is not exactly a skin problem. There can be quite a few causes behind it. Blood pressure and heart troubles relate to edema directly. Often pregnant women face this problem. If the condition is severe and hampering your mobility, consulting a doctor is advisable. But the best way to treat edema is curing it with home remedies.
If you get up one morning with a swollen body part, it is quite obvious that you will panic. The swelling can take place in your toes, feet, eyes, nose or entire face as well. The affected area can also manifest edema through itchy skin or slight pain. The most probable reason for this is edema. The Mayoclinic calls it - trapping of fluids in tissues.
There can be various reasons behind edema. Most serious form of edema is pulmonary edema that can lead to heart failure, according to Medline Plus. If you get hurt at any of your body part or a ligament is torn, edema can come up as an after effect. Sometimes if you are standing for a long time or walking for hours, edema can show up in the feet or toes. This is because the fluid from blood vessels seeps out creating a swelling. If an insect bites you and there is some sort of allergic reaction, edema can be observed as an immediate result. Pregnant women often get swollen feet which is another form of edema.
Swimming helps in reducing edema more than any other exercise. Drinking plenty of water will surely help combat edema quickly. Include a lot of fruit and vegetables in your diet to get rid of edema. Here are various home remedies to treat edema. You can select one keeping in mind the cause of edema.
- Crushed Flax Seeds: Flax seeds can be a good relief for edema. You can crush the seeds and powder it out. You can sprinkle this powder on your food to consume it directly. But those who do not like the taste of the seeds can opt for another application. There is oil made from the flax seeds which can be applied on the affected area. This is especially helpful for pregnant women suffering from edema.
- Warm Beverages: In order to get fast relief from the swelling of edema, you can consume warm drinks. It can be warm water or tea but should be taken twice or thrice a day.
- Mustard Oil: Mustard oil provides a complete solution to edema. You can take some warm mustard oil in your palms and massage the affected area gently. The other way is to soak about two tea spoons of mustard seeds in water and applying the solution on the edematous region.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar removes the extra fluids from the cells of the body and it results in removal of edema.
- Restriction of Diet: The first change that you should make to your daily diet is reduction in salt intake. You can also increase proteins and fats in the meals cutting down the quantity of carbohydrates. This is because the carbohydrates enhance water retention in body resulting severe swelling of edema. The more leafy and fibrous vegetables and fruits you eat, the lower will be the chance of edema.
- Physical activities: If you are leading an inactive lifestyle, you are probably prone to edema. But incorporation of physical exercises will help you to reduce edema. The best activity is swimming that heals swelling.
- Compression clothing: You get special compression stockings for edema that help you reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Adaptive clothing and footwear: The regular clothing and footwear cause a lot of discomfort for edema patients. Several adaptive clothing and footwear are specially manufactured for edema patients.
- Coriander Seeds: Coriander seeds are considered to be the best remedy for edema. Take a few tea spoons of coriander seeds and boil it with water till the quantity reduces into half of the actual amount. Filter the solution and consume the whole amount at one go. This will provide an assured solution to edema.
- Tea Tree Oil: If edema is caused by insect bites, the tea tree oils are best ion for treating it. As the poison of the insects cause this swelling, you can make a mixture of neem and tea tree oil to apply on the affected area. This will heal the swelling and the pain as well.