You might be used to seeing arborvitae evergreen trees along the road, but for centuries, the leaves and sap of this tree have been prized for their-fighting power.
What is Arborvitae?
Arborvitae, taxonomically known as Thuja occidentalis, or Northern White Cedar, is an evergreen member of the cypress family, indigenous to Southeast Canada and the Northern United States. Arborvitae in Latin means “tree of life” and it is particularly sacred to the Ojibwe people, who list the tree as one of their four major plants on the medicine wheel. While it is used for everything from to the curing of STDs, this powerful plant does contain the neurotoxin thujone, which can be toxic when consumed in large doses.
The many benefits of arborvitae include the following:
- Arborvitae is particularly useful in treating upper illness, such as the common cold, sinusitis, , bronchitis, or strep throat.
- It is used topically to relieve arthritis and reduce pain from sore muscles or recovering injuries.
- The parts of this tree contain small amounts of the neurotoxin thujone, which makes it popular as a treatment for parasites and as an insect repellant.
- It is also used topically to treat skin infections, such as warts or cold sores.
- Various parts of this tree have been taken to induce in the past, but it is no longer recommended for this purpose.
- The may help fight cancer and reduce the risk of other chronic diseases. benefits of arborvitae
Let us take a look at its uses.
- Arborvitae is most often found as an essential oil or tincture, both of which are made from the leaves.
- It is also found in some herbal topical creams.
- A tea can be made from the leaves of this tree, and this herb is also sometimes found in many of the herbal products used for coughs and colds.
Word of Warning: Women should avoid taking arborvitae during breastfeeding, as it may cause a or other complications. Thujone has been known to cause low and seizures. It is wise to speak with a doctor before adding this herbal remedy to your regular health regimen.or while