Couscous vs Rice
and may look similar, but they are definitely not the same in terms of nutrition, uses and benefits.
- Couscous is a form of , and not a grain, which many falsely believe.
- Couscous is composed of wheat semolina. balls of rolled durum
- In terms of nutrition, couscous is quite high in protein, providing more than 10% of our daily requirement in a single cup. It is also quite high in fiber, with more than 2 grams in every cup. This is in addition to smaller amounts of magnesium, vitamin B6, iron, and calcium.
- A cup of this Middle Eastern pasta also contains roughly 175 improve overall health and reduce chronic inflammation. , as well as various and that can
- Couscous is often used as the base for meat, , , vegetables or fruit.
- Unlike couscous, rice is a type of grain and is actually the seed of a species, typically Oryza or Oryza glaberrima.
- When it comes to nutrition, rice delivers more than 4 grams of per cup, as well as a smaller amount of dietary – only about 2% of the daily requirement.
- One cup of rice also has just over 200 calories, and a similar composition of vitamin B6, although all of those nutrients are in lesser concentrations than are found in couscous. , including , , and
- Rice may be the most widely consumed food staple in the , but in comparison to couscous, it is not as nutrient dense, nor does it have as many health benefits.