There is a lot of debate over Keto vs Atkins, and while thesedo share some characteristics, there are also some key differences that you should understand before you choose one over the other.
Keto vs Atkins
The small differences between these two diets can help you make a decision of which is better for your health goals.
- The ketogenic diet requires high fat intake (60%), moderate protein intake (35%) and low intake (5%).
- The Atkins diet begins with a similar nutrient percentage as a keto diet, but then allows the reintroduction of carbohydrates after an introductory weight loss period.
- Aside from the restrictions on carbohydrates, the Atkins diet is not strict on the percentage of fats or .
- The controls carbohydrate intake. diet is particularly good for , as it strictly
- A keto diet will help you lose weight, due to the reduction in overall intake.
- The Atkins diet is known to improve fat and cholesterol levels, which is good for health.
- Following the Atkins diet means eating a lot of meat, making it an ideal diet for carnivores.
Both of these diets encourage the body to enter ketosis, where fat is burned, producing ketone bodies that can boosthealth. However, the Atkins diet allows for the reintroduction of more carbs, which can reduce ketosis.
- Both diets are controversial in some circles; the Atkins diet fell out of favor after reports that people often rapidly gained their lost back following the diet.
- The Atkins diet is also more likely to lead to nutrient deficiency, as there aren’t enough strict rules on the types of food to eat (except NOT to eat too many carbs).
- A ketogenic diet often includes the use of supplements, rather than whole food.
- The challenge of both diets is the removal of popular foods, making it more likely that people will cheat.
Which is Better?
While both of these low-carb diets are good for weight loss, the ketogenic diet is known to have more sustainable results and a more permanent change in eating habits and .