What is a Mirabelle Plum?
The mirabelle plum (also called a mirabelle prune – Prunus domestica subsp. syriaca Mirabelle) grows on trees of the Prunus genus and is thought to have originated from a wild-growing fruit in Anatolia, . The fruits themselves are small and oval in shape, as well as cherry-red or dark yellow in color when ripe. They have a richly sweet but tangy flavor. When not eaten as a fresh fruit, these red or yellow plums are most often used to make jams, or wine. They are harvested from July through September.
What many people don’t realize is that mirabelle plums are illegal in certain parts of the world. France has the monopoly on growing mirabelle plums, and just like champagne grapes, they have a designated point of origin. Due to trade agreements between France and the US, it is not allowed to ship fresh mirabelle plums to the United States. You’ll have to save the pleasure of eating these plums fresh when you take a trip to Europe.
Mirabelle Plum Benefits
- Assists the system by helping to reduce .
- Helps maintain a healthy metabolism and may aid in weight loss.
- Can aid in activity, lowering your risk of ’s . retention due to antioxidant
- Provides anti-aging properties to the skin, and may reduce the appearance of and age spots.
- Helps prevent cancer by neutralizing free radicals before they can cause chronic inflammation.