While olive oil is famous around the world for the number of benefits it offers, the olive leaf extract is less well known for impressive health effects that can make it a valuable addition to your diet. The most important health benefits of olive leaf extract include its ability to protect against cancer, lower , improve health, regulate blood sugar fluctuation, improve brain function, and strengthen immunity. It also helps to lose weight, improve the appearance of the skin, and treat arthritis and herpes breakouts.
However, before you start using a specialized supplement such as this, it is critical to first understand the source, the potential benefits, and any possible side effects.
What is Olive Leaf Extract?
Olive leaf extract is derived from the leaves of the olive tree and has been used medicinally for thousands of years. The key ingredient in olive leaf extract is oleuropein, along with other flavonoids and polyphenolic compounds, that deliver a host of health benefits for those who regularly consume this extract, regardless of what form it comes in.
Olive trees, scientifically known as Olea europaea, are some of the oldest cultivated plants. Native to the region, olives have been naturalized in dozens of countries and is highly valued for the oil in its fruit.
Unlike olive oil, the olive leaf extract is acquired from the leaves themselves and can be prepared at home, if you have the time and willingness. Otherwise, this extract is commonly available in supplement form. There are various other ways to benefit from the dense nutrient value of olive leaves, such as teas or tinctures, but they aren’t as efficient or potent when it comes to this extract’s health potential.
Olive Leaf Extract Benefits
Let’s take a look at the most important health benefits of olive leaf extract:
Lowers Blood Pressure
Research has shown that olive leaf extract can quickly and consistently lower blood pressure. Olive leaf extract helps reduce the production of damaging compounds that break down blood vessel walls. This, in turn, helps reduce strain on the cardiovascular system and lower your risk of atherosclerosis, heart attack, stroke, and coronary heart disease. Intake of one capsule supplement per day is able to effectively regulate both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
The detoxifying abilities of this extract can help to protect the skin and eliminate toxins that can speed up the aging process. Additionally, the antioxidants found in this extract will help soothe oxidative stress in the upper layers of the skin, which can minimize the appearance of wrinkles, age spots, and other blemishes. Regular use of this extract can also improve circulation to the skin, which will speed up the growth and repair of any damaged skin cells.
Improves Cardiovascular Health
The compounds found in olive leaf extract are able to prevent the oxidation of LDL or bad cholesterol that causes deposition of plaque in arteries and leads to a higher risk of coronary heart diseases. It also increases the risk of and other cardiovascular conditions.
Studies have found that this extract is able to increase the production and release of insulin, which will mean better regulation of your blood sugar levels. If you are at high risk for diabetes or have already been diagnosed, this extract can help manage the potential symptoms. Other active ingredients also minimize your other risk factors for diabetes, such as obesity and high cholesterol.
Improves Brain Function
Olive leaf extract offers a strong level of protection against study by Joaquín G. Cordero, UAM Medicine, Madrid, Spain. Regular use of this supplement has also been prescribed for people following strokes or other acute brain injuries, as it can reduce oxidative stress and help improve cognitive performance.disease such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases as per a
Helps to Fight Cancer
There are v powerful antioxidants found in olive leaf extract, some of which have been linked to anti-cancer properties. A 2009 research study by Dr. V. Goulas from the University of Ioannina, Greece highlights that olive oil and olive leaf extracts are a major part of the Mediterranean diet and they help to lower the risk of heart disease and cancer. The bioactive in olive leaf extracts have shown antioxidant and antiproliferative potential in the breast, pancreatic, bladder as well as brain cancer cell lines.
The latest study in 2019 shows that olive leaf extracts are rich in polyphenols and they display anti-tumor effects in human cervical cancer cells.
Although all the experiments are taking a positive route, more human trials are still required to determine the exact outcome.
Anecdotal evidence and formal studies have shown that regular use of olive leaf extract can improve digestion and soothe symptoms of bloating and constipation. This is partially due to the immune-enhancing properties of this substance, which can rebalance the bacterial levels in the gut, which improves digestion in a major way. This is particularly effective if you brew a tea made from olive leaves.
Has Analgesic Qualities
If you regularly suffer from pain, the analgesic qualities of olive leaf extract can help to reduce that discomfort and inhibit the signaling of nerve receptors from the site of the injury.
Boosts Immune System
The immunomodulatory effects of olive leaf extract along with a high level of antioxidants help reduce oxidative stress and relieve any strain on the immune system.
Prevents Bacterial and Fungal Infections
Olive leaf extract is rich in boosting the immune system along with protecting against a variety of viral, fungal and bacterial infections and foodborne pathogens.properties and stimulates the production of white blood cells in the body. This helps in
In terms of reducing inflammation in the body, people have been taking this extract for sore joints and muscles for generations. It is able to inhibit the release of cytokines and other inflammatory enzymes that cause pain and discomfort in the joints, particularly for people with arthritis. This makes it an effective remedy for chronic pain of other types as well, particularly those from old injuries.
Increases your Metabolism
There are various fat-burning effects of olive leaf extract, primarily because it stimulates the release of adrenaline and other hormones. This can increase your overall metabolism and increase passive fat-burning. It also optimizes other bodily processes, like energy metabolism and enzyme production.
Herpes is a virus causing contagious sores, most often around the mouth or on the genitals. The olive oil extract is a commonly used natural treatment for herpes. According to a study, the antiviral and antimicrobial factors of the olive leaf extract reduces the ability of the herpes virus to invade surrounding cells and provide quick relief.
Uses of Olive Leaf Extract
There are many uses of olive leaf extract and some of the popular ones include:
- Supplement form: The capsules tend to be 500-1000 milligrams in strength, and the recommended concentration is one with 20% oleuropein. That is the active ingredient and most important component in the extract that delivers the majority of the nutrients and health benefits. It is safe to take a supplement of olive leaf extract every day, as the body doesn’t store excess amounts of the active ingredients.
- Olive leaf tea: The other way to benefit from this extract is to prepare an olive leaf tea. While fewer active ingredients will be released in the tea than that are present in the pure extract, this can still be quite beneficial for health.
How To Prepare Olive Leaf Tea?
- Boil water in a pan
- Simply steep 4-5 olive leaves in hot water for 7-8 minutes to brew a cup of tea.
Note: The flavor can be a bit earthy for some people, so adding a teaspoon of honey is recommended.
Where to Buy Olive Leaf Extract?
You can buy olive leaf extract from any local health store as well as online stores.
Olive Leaf Extract Side Effects
Some of the potential side effects of olive leaf extract include:
- Toxin Inflammation: The extract has potent fever, and headache. , antiviral and anti-fungal qualities. However, when the disease-causing pathogens get destroyed, they release toxins in the body. This causes the body’s immune system to kick and detox itself of toxic material which results in inflammatory responses such as joint pain, muscle soreness, sweating,
- Stomach Issues: The powerful nature of this extract can cause stomach irritations or excessive diarrhea in some cases. This is why it is always recommended to take olive leaf extract with food. Even when you simply prepare a tincture or brew a cup of olive leaf tea, drinking extra water is a good idea, as this will help to flush out the excess toxins that are released by the extract. If you experience these side effects, discontinue use of the supplement and speak to your doctor.
- Heartburn: Some people have reported experiencing heartburn when they drink olive leaf tea or consume a tincture, but this isn’t a common side effect with people who take supplements in capsule or tablet form. You can relieve these symptoms by drinking more water or switching to capsule supplements.
- Drug Interactions: The effects of this extract include raising blood sugar and decreasing blood pressure; for people who are taking medications for either of these two conditions – diabetes or hypertension – the interactions with the extract could result in complications or a lack of efficacy of the medications.
- Dizziness: A small number of people report dizziness or after taking these capsule supplements. This seems to be concentrated in people who already suffer from low blood pressure, as olive leaf extract has a hypotensive effect on the body.