Rue, a bitter Balkan herb, was used extensively by ancient for its potent benefits and it remains a viable remedy to this day.
What is Rue?
Rue, also known as ‘native Balkan evergreen with small yellow . It was native to the and North African regions but was spread by and British colonialism all over the . The shrub is a evergreen, which makes it popular for landscaping and hedges. The taste of rue is quite bitter. Although it was very popular in ancient Roman culinary , it has fallen into obscurity as a spice. Most will be familiar with this plant as one of the in the Ethiopian spice blend berbere.of Grace’, is a
Rue has many amazing health benefits, including the following:
- Treats Arthritis: Its anti-arthritis and . properties help
- Stimulates Menstruation: Rue has been popular since the 16th century as an , which is a substance used to stimulate .
- Treats Menstrual Cramps: It is also an and is prescribed to counter and menstrual .
- Skin Care: Rue is anti-skin and treat . in and can help promote clearer
- Improves Heart Health: It helps to improve by blood vessels and reducing on the system.
- Treats Anxiety: Rue tea is used to calm the , treat anxiety, and promote restful and sleep.
- Induces Numbness: It is used as a because of the mild neurotoxins it contains, which can induce and calm nerve endings.
- Insect repellent: Rue is commonly used to keep and the associated away. Ancient often employed it as an and fumigant.
- Hair Care: The aromatherapy to promote health. is often used for treatment or in
- Fights Poison: Rue has also been used as a remedy for poison. While it is poisonous itself, it acts as an to other poisons. It is particularly useful on neurotoxins and not hemotoxins. It is still used as an effective anti-venom against and bites.
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular uses of this herb.
- Rue is used as a cooking ingredient in North African
- It is medicinally taken in form
- Many bug – incense and contain this herb
- It is also used in beauty and care products as a
Other than the list of health benefits that this herb has, it also poses some side effects, which include the following:
- Rue is highly toxic in large doses and can cause and damage, as well as induce and in small doses
- This substance should never be applied directly to the without a carrier oil
Care must be taken while using this herb and avoid use in case of the following
- Avoid use during as the use of this herb may cause and
- It is not safe for
- People who are on medication for liver or kidney problems, or , should also not take this remedy in any form