Schisandra is a powerful herbal remedy in Chinese traditional medicine that can help strengthen your immune system and liver.
What is Schisandra?
Schisandra is actually a type of woody vine, scientifically known as Schisandra , that produces small red berries that are widely used in traditional medicine. These berries are often referred to as magnolia berries or five-flavor berries. Native to China and areas of Russia, the berries are said to possess all five basic flavors – salty, sweet, spicy, sour, and bitter – hence the name five-flavor berry.
The berries of the schisandra vine contain various lignans and , which can provide various health benefits, as well as adaptogens, powerful substances that can ostensibly retrain your body to more effectively manage stress and health.
There are many benefits of schisandra that include the following:
- Boosting mental performance
- Preventing premature aging
- Reducing inflammation
- Improving endurance
- Protecting vision
- Giving relief from stress, anxiety, and symptoms of depression
- Preventing hepatitis infections and treat hepatitis C
- Relieving symptoms of pneumonia
- Boosting exercise performance and endurance
- Preventing the worsening of nearsightedness
- Preventing and treating motion sickness
- Lowering your risk of diabetes
- Regulating blood sugar levels
- Suppressing prevent atherosclerosis, heart attack, and stroke to
- Improving liver function and detoxify the body more efficiently
- Acting as a mild sedative and helping in treating the fever
- Boosting energy
- Increasing libido
- Improving digestion
- Weight loss
- Reducing signs of chronic fatigue syndrome
- Enabling normal sleep patterns
- Skin care
Schisandra can support healthy weight loss thanks to its metabolism-boosting properties. It protects skin against chronic conditions and inflammation, such as psoriasis and eczema. Schisandra is known to optimize health and helps relieve symptoms of constipation. It is known as a natural and aids in increasing sexual function and sperm counts. It has positive effects on mental performance as well and helps in improving concentration, memory, and sharpness. Being anti- in nature schisandra relieves the pain associated with arthritis and gout. It also alleviates the symptoms of pneumonia by stimulating the immune system
While tradition recommendations on dosage vary, they remain the most reliable source for clear dosages for this medicinal berry.
- If you are eating the dried fruit, do not exceed more than 3 grams per day, and eat the powdered fruit with meals once per day.
- If you are using the dried fruit extract in liquid form, you should use a 1:20 weight/volume ratio of these drops with water, basically mixing 10 drops with 150ml of water and drinking this twice daily.
Since there are very few formal studies on dosage, it is best that you consult with a doctor or trained before using this medicinal herb.
Schisandra Side Effects
There are some side effects of eating this fruit and its extracts, particularly in high, such as the following:
- Higher risk of episodes
- Increase in gastroesophageal syndrome symptoms
- Risk of developing peptic ulcers
The powerful compounds of this berry can also increase the intracranial pressure, which can be dangerous over long periods of time. Using only the recommended and appropriate dosage is strongly recommended. Furthermore, women who are breastfeeding or pregnant should avoid the use of this herb, as the compounds and volatile acids could be too stimulating for the child.