Consuming wild lettuce and using it for various remedies is an ancient practice and one that can still provide various benefits to this day.
What is Wild Lettuce?
Wild lettuce is one of the many common names for certain species of the Lactuca genus related to traditional . The leaves have often been consumed for their mild properties and as a vegetable. In fact, early used these leaves as a painkiller if they were unable to procure opium.
Lactuca virosa is the most common form in North America and Europe and is also known as opium lettuce, great lettuce or bitter lettuce, among others. The leaves of this plant, much like normal lettuce, are the highly sought after element of this plant, and the leaves look similar to dandelion leaves, although they often have more than 5 and are a rich dark green. Unlike similar species of the Lactuca genus, it doesn’t have bristles and isn’t considered a plant.
Thebenefits of wild lettuce are largely derived from their active ingredients, which include various and , along with other . Lactucarium is the most notable ingredient, the milky sap that is extracted as an analgesic. As a , however, you should use caution when using this plant in any form. The plant was to grow in the US the 1970’s, but the FDA has recently made it to grow, sell, and own.
Wild Lettuce Benefits
There are a number of health benefits associated with consuming wild lettuce or using it as a natural treatment, including its ability to aid sleep, soothe overexcited , and calm the sex drive, among others.
- Prevent a whooping cough
- Relieve anxiety and behavior of
- Improve insomnia patterns and prevent
- Stop and tension in the
- Support asthma symptoms health by treating
- Eliminate headaches and migraines
- Soothe and excitability in children
- Minimize painful menstrual periods
- Calm excessive drive in and (nymphomania)
- Lower inflammation and pain
- Alleviate poor and improve levels
- Minimize swollen in men (priapism)
- Euphoric and in
- tract problems
How to Use?
There are various effective ways to use wild lettuce, but the most popular ones include the following:
- Making an tea of the leaves or brewing a powerful
- Make or extract the milky sap from the of this plant as a painkiller
- Some smoking blend. The lactucarium, the most important active ingredient, is concentrated in the directly from the sap also prefer to dry the leaves and create a
Wild Lettuce vs Dandelion
- Leaves: The leaves of this lettuce variety and look very similar, so it is difficult to tell them apart in this way.
- Height: Wild lettuce can grow over ten , whereas dandelion rarely exceeds 1.5 feet in .
- Usage: Both of these species can be used as salad benefits. and for their
- Flowers: Dandelion will also be significantly larger than the flowers of wild lettuce, about 2x the size.
Avoid using these leaves if you are breastfeeding, as the depressant nature can be dangerous for both the and child. Some other side effects include:or
- Topical skin inflammation
- Ringing in the
- Vision changes
With so many unique active ingredients and potent antioxidant effects, everything from attention if serious side effects occur.reactions to mild vision changes can occur. This is particularly true if you consume a large volume of these leaves or too much of this plant’s extract. Seek