What is Cachupa?
Cachupa is the national dish of Cape Verde. Not surprising, given the many ways it is eaten in the islands. Like many rustic dishes, it has a high dose ofwith in brothy , which can be enriched by adding meat. This dish also encapsulates the history of its homeland. It represents the mish-mash of its traditional influences, from its European colonial past, American proximity, and an influx of people from and Africa.
How to Make Cachupa?
Cachupa has many versions. The refogada version is fried while the guisada is soupy. The cachupa sabe is made withfor special occasions. Even more special is our recipe of cachupa rica which uses different meats, sausages, and for a rich version. Since it is typically made in large quantities, it also makes for a perfect meal when feeding a crowd.
Hearty Cachupa Rica Recipe
- 3 cups dry hominy
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 1/2 cup lima beans
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- cups chicken stock sliced
- 500 gm salted pork chopped
- 250 gm blood sausage sliced
- 500 gm tuna or cooked meat
- 1 small cabbage chopped
- 1 large sweet potato cut into chunks
- 1 lbs plantain
- 1 cup squash cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can tomato
- 1 lbs yam
- handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 4-6 cups water
- Soak the dry red beans, lima beans, and hominy overnight. Drain the water, washing the beans thoroughly. Add the water and bay leaves to the beans and let it cook till they become tender.
- In a separate pan, saute the chorizo slices and let its oil seep out. Add the rest of the meat and fish.
- When the meats are fried, add the vegetables and saute them together. Add some salt and cover the pan. Let the vegetables and meats cook till tender.
- When the vegetables are well-cooked, add these to the beans with the can of tomatoes and further cook them for 2-3 hours. Take care that there is enough water to maintain a thick broth-like dish.
- When the cachupa is cooked, take it off the stove. Add the cilantro just before serving. It is best enjoyed with plain rice.
What to do with leftovers?
Given the usual large quantity, it is quite likely that you may have leftovers. The usual tradition is to serve leftovers as onions till it dries and then served with eggs.. The soupy dish is fried up with
If you want to know more about West African cuisine, here is a detailed article on its delicious flavors. Do tell us about your experience with cachupa and how you like it.