What is the Cayenne Pepper Diet?
The cayenne pepper diet is a detox diet in which you consume a very narrow range of liquids, including laxative teas, special cayenne-infused lemonade water, and saltwater. This is a weight loss diet and can be very difficult since it represents a rather extreme drop in your calorie intake. This is more of a cleanse than a diet since it consists of only liquids for a period of a few days up to two weeks. While the significant drop in calorie intake will aid in weight loss, there are other benefits to your metabolism that come from the particular ingredients of this diet. This diet is also commonly known as the lemonade diet or master cleanse diet.
How Does It Help You Lose Weight?
- For this diet, you’re not only eating pepper during the meals but also for the rest of the day. Studies on cayenne pepper have shown that it can have a stimulating effect on your metabolism.
- In fact, some people burn an additional 50 calories when consuming even a small amount of cayenne pepper, since it can kickstart the metabolism into calorie-burning mode.
- Furthermore, studies on the cayenne pepper diet have shown that it can lower blood sugar levels, thus keeping your weight in check. It could also lower your risk of diabetes.
- Finally, cayenne pepper can interact with hormonal receptors and block your cravings for food.
Cayenne Pepper Diet Plan
- This lemonade is the core of the diet and should be consumed at least 6 times per day. It consists of 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a glass of water, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and at least 1/10 of a teaspoon of cayenne powder.
- In the morning, you can drink a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of salt to flush out your body, while the laxative tea should be consumed before going to sleep.
- You should drink regular water throughout the day to prevent dehydration.
- Other capsaicin-containing foods, such as Tabasco, kimchi, and tobanjan Chinese seasoning can also be consumed to improve the diet’s effects.
There are numerous side effects of the cayenne pepper diet, including your body going into starvation mode, which can result in the following:
- Slowing down your metabolism
- Reduction in blood clotting
- Muscle aches
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid this diet, as should children, the elderly, and anyone who is currently ill or has a weakened immune system. Due to the drastic caloric reduction in this diet, you may see initial weight loss, but it is very easy to gain that weight back, especially as some of it will be water weight.