Using emu oil for hair health is an increasingly popular trend, but before adding any new product to your hair, it’s important to understand all of its potential effects.
Emu oil is a unique nutrient-dense oil that is extracted from the fat of the emu, a large flightless bird native to Australia. This oil has been used for all variety of cosmetic purposes and is particularly well known for its effects on hair growth and scalp health. The many anti-inflammatory benefits of this oil are attributed to the high concentrations of fatty acids, namely unsaturated fats, including omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fats. These unsaturated fats can have numerous positive effects on the body.
Emu Oil Benefits for Hair
The top emu oil benefits for hair include its ability to stimulate hair growth, prevent hair loss, thicken the hair, and add shine to dull hair, among others.
Oil naturally tames frizzy hair. However, this oil will absorb well and won’t leave an oily residue on the hair, just a healthy shine!
Some reports show that using this oil can stimulate thicker and more voluminous hair.
If you have already lost the hair on part of your head, regularly applying this oil can cause those follicles to begin producing hair again.
How to Use Emu Oil for Hair
If you want to use emu oil for hair health, knowing how to apply it is important.
- Step 1: Pour 5-10 drops of emu oil into your palm.
- Step 2: Rub your palms together and then run your fingers through your hair.
- Step 3: Pull the oil from the tips of your hair to your roots.
- Step 4: Thoroughly cover all of your hair and scalp with additional oil, if necessary.
- Step 5: In the case of bald patches or areas of thinning hair, massage the oil directly into the scalp.
- Step 6: Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave on for between 5-20 minutes.
- Step 7: Gently wash the oil out of your hair with warm water and a mild shampoo.
Note: Regular application can show results in a few weeks, but effects vary for every person.