Known best for their role in beer production also have a variety of uses and have numerous roles throughout history.
What are Hops?
Hops are the seed of a plant that is scientifically known as Humulus lupulus. Technically the of this plant are cultivated around the for their cones, many varieties of which are used in the brewing of . For more than 1,000 years, hops have been a key ingredient in this popular beverage, and their cultivation has continued to evolve, particularly in recent years as beer brewing has undergone a veritable Renaissance in some parts of the world.
Not only do hops act as a protection to the during production. While hops are found in almost all beer, they are not considered one of the essential ingredients – e.g., , , malted barley. They do act as a and stabilizer in beer, however, so they are almost always included. The inclusion of malt gives a sweetness to the beer, whereas these seed cones can add and the flavor in various ways.agent in beer, but also provides different flavors, and some /
Hops Health Benefits
The skin health, among others.benefits of consuming these seed cones in various forms include relaxing the , boosting health, easing issues, and protecting
- Relieve insomnia of
- Prevent cancer
- arthritis and fibromyalgia
- Ease the transitional menopause changes of
- Aid in weight loss
- Reduce pain in and muscles
- Minimize the severity of menstrual and other symptoms, such as mood
- Manage diabetic symptoms
- Help to calm anxiety and symptoms of depression
- headaches the muscles and prevent tension
- Increase flow and boost cognitive function
- Prevent hair loss and dryness of the scalp, which can lead to
- Boost health by eliminating inflammation
There are quite a few uses for hops outside of brewing beer, such as in extract form or various capsules.
- Extract: The extract from hops can be used for their sleep aid. , and is often used as a
- Tincture: You can add 10-15 drops of this into the water to improve mood and relax the .
- Tea: Brewing dried hops in hot water tea that can ease and reduce . a bitter
- Beverages: When compromised, but they can soothe . in beer, some of the active ingredients are
- Tablets: A more concentrated way of benefitting from these flowers – can contain up to 350 milligrams and may be recommended to be taken twice daily.
There are various side effects of consuming hops or using products that are derived from these seed cones. Furthermore, the essential oil is very potent and can cause more severe side effects when used improperly or in excess.
- breastfeeding women should avoid use, as the effects are largely unknown. Also, women should limit or completely eliminate consumption during . and
- diarrhea, as well as topical inflammation if you are using them in a tincture form on your skin. reactions to hops do exist, which can lead to upset , or
- or can occur when hops are used. Remember to only use these products or remedies in moderation.