The word on the street is, kombucha tea! The popular beverage is on everyone’s lips, winning over the masses thanks to its healthy, fizzy and refreshing properties. Not limited to store shelves, the drink can even be made at home, making it a convenient choice for many. It’s no wonder then that Kombucha tea is said to be USA’s fastest growing functional beverage. For the uninitiated, Kombucha tea is a fermented beverage, made by adding a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) to a solution of tea and sugar. If you’re wondering how to make kombucha tea at home, follow the steps given below, and you’ll be good to go!
An Easy-To-Make Recipe of Kombucha Tea With SCOBY
Basic Tea Ingredients
- 1 gallon water
- 4-6 tea bags You can also use 4-6 tsp or 15-20 gms of loose-leaf tea
- 1 cup sugar beets or 200 gms to be precise
- 1-2 cups starter liquid from a previous batch or an original flavored store-bought Kombucha or 250-200 ml to be precise
- To make kombucha tea, bring 1 gallon of water to boil (or to the recommended temperature for the type of tea as may be mentioned at the back of the tea container).
- Once boiled, pour the water over the tea leaves. If you are using tea bags, dip them in the boiled water.
- Allow it to steep for 3-10 minutes. Note that this will again depend on the type of tea.
- Remove or strain the tea from the liquid. Thereafter add 1 cup of sugar into the tea and let it cool till it comes to room temperature.
- Add the SCOBY and 1-2 cups of the starter liquid, which is either from the previous batch or an original flavored store-bought Kombucha.
- Cover the mixed concoction with a cloth and secure it with a rubber band, so as to not allow it to spill.
- Store the Kombucha in a warm place, away from sunlight. Now, be patient and wait for it to ferment, which usually takes 7 to 21 days. Once fermented, its ready for consumption. Enjoy the tea and note that a person is not recommended to have more than 4 ounces of the tea in a day.
Connect With Us
If you have tried this recipe, we would love your feedback in the comments section below. And while we can’t taste it, we would love to see how it turned out! You can connect with us on Facebook or Instagram and tag your picture with #organicfactsrecipes.
Do you wish to share your winning recipes with us? Please click here and fill in the details to get started.