There is a long-standing debate about spearmint vs , and while they share many , there are a few key differences that separate the two.
Spearmint vs Peppermint
and peppermint are used for many of the same purposes, but they aren’t the same plant.
- Scientifically known as member of the Mentha genus and is native to Europe and , although it has been all over the throughout the course of history. spicata, spearmint is a
- Unlike spearmint, peppermint is actually a hybrid member of the mint family, having been produced by crossing spearmint and watermint, and thus the scientific name Mentha x piperita.
- The flavor of spearmint is a refreshing earthy taste, which is primarily from the R-carvone, one of the active ingredients, along with , , , and .
- The flavor of peppermint is stronger than spearmint and has a higher menthol content, which may affect the flavor so strongly. Peppermint also possesses different active ingredients, including pulegone, much higher concentrations of menthol and menthone. , and
- In terms of its use, the teas, , and , as well as , , and . flavor of spearmint makes it popular as a flavoring agent in , as well as in
- There are about a dozen commercial and of peppermint, many of which are popularly used for and purposes. Peppermint is used in similar ways, however, in , , goods, teas, and cocktails.
- Named for its pointed leaves, spearmint can be used fresh or dried, and can also be without losing its potency.
- Like many other hybrids, peppermint is sterile, and cannot seeds, but it is very hardy and can spread its own to cover large areas. with its own