Tea tree oil or melaleuca oil has strong antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal properties among a list of other properties. With all these amazing properties, it should not be a surprise that tea tree oil shampoo can do wonders for your hair.
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo Benefits
The most popular benefits of tea tree oil shampoo include the treatment of lice, dermatitis, and dandruff.
- Eliminates Dandruff: Tea tree oil, rich in anti-fungal property, is effective in treating dandruff on your scalp. A study suggests that the use of five percent tea tree oil is effective in relieving itchiness and greasiness associated with dandruff.
- Relieves Itchiness: Tea tree oil helps reduce itchiness on the scalp because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also effective in treating an oily scalp.
- Promotes Hair Growth: Tea tree oil helps unclog the hair follicles by flushing out toxins and provides necessary nutrients to scalp and follicles which promote hair growth.
- Prevents Hair Loss: By unclogging the hair follicles, tea tree oil helps to strengthen the roots of your hair which in turn prevents hair loss.
- Treats Seborrhoeic Dermatitis: A recent research conducted by Thomas Berk and Noah Scheinfeld suggests that tea tree oil aids in treating seborrhoeic dermatitis that affects scalp, chest, and face.
- Improves Blood Circulation: Tea tree oil promotes blood flow in your body. Using tea tree oil shampoo which is mixed with a carrier oil has therapeutic benefits for the hair and scalp.
- Helps in Lice Treatment: According to a study, the insecticidal property of tea tree oil is effective against head lice. Head lice infestation is a common problem, especially among kids, and use of tea tree oil can help eliminate it.
How to make Tea Tree Oil Shampoo?
Tea tree oil can be made easily at home. All you need is a bottle of shampoo and tea tree oil to prepare this amazing hair cleanser.
- Step 1: Add ten drops of tea tree oil to about 250 ml of shampoo
- Step 2: Mix it well and the shampoo is ready to use
Tips: For a pleasant smell add a few drops of lavender oil to your tea tree oil shampoo.
Note: The above solution has about 2% concentration of tea tree oil. Avoid increasing the concentration of oil above 5% as that may cause scalp irritation. If you are preparing shampoo for a child, then add a maximum of 5 drops.
How to use?
Using tea tree oil shampoo is very easy and convenient. Just follow the process below to get the best results:
- Step 1: Apply tea tree oil shampoo directly to your hair and massage gently
- Step 2: Make sure you don’t leave the solution on your hair for more than 5 minutes
- Step 3: Rinse your hair thoroughly with water
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for Lice
Tea tree oil shampoo is an effective natural remedy against lice. Follow the steps below and get rid of the lice that have been troubling you or your loved ones.
- Step 1: Add a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil to the tea tree oil shampoo mixture and apply it on the scalp directly.
- Step 2: Cover your hair with a shower cap and rinse it after 30 minutes for best results. The olive oil helps suffocate lice and also reduces the number of lice eggs that can hatch.
How to make Tea Tree Oil Conditioner?
Tea tree oil conditioner can be prepared at home using a few ingredients that include egg, olive oil, and tea tree oil.
- Step 1: Beat an egg and mix it with 30 ml of olive oil.
- Step 2: Add about five drops of tea tree oil into the above mixture. Your homemade conditioner is ready to use!
How to use?
Always use tea tree oil conditioner on damp hair. Keep the conditioner on your scalp for about 10 minutes and then rinse your hair thoroughly with water.
Word of Caution: Use of tea tree oil may cause allergy. Do not use tea tree oil without diluting it with a carrier such as a shampoo, bland oil or lotion. Also, speak to your dermatology specialist before use.