Boldo is far more than just a tropical tree, and can provide a number of herbal benefits when properly used!
What is Boldo?
Boldo, scientifically known as Peumus boldus, is a tree native to South America that has been used for thousands of years for the treatment of pine and menthol. Though originally found on the slopes of the Andes, the small, shrubby tree has been introduced all over the world, and can now be found growing everywhere from the region to California.problems. The taste of these leaves is pungent, with notes of
Boldo is one of the oldest herbal medicines known to man, with evidence of use dating back to 10,000 years. While these leaves have long been traditionally used for ailments and as a mild nerve tonic, today this plant is used for many different complaints.
- Gallstones: It is a popular treatment for thanks to an alkaloid, boldin, that stimulates the secretion of bile. ,
- Liver diseases: Boldo detoxifies the liver and protects against liver diseases.
- UTI: The leaves also stimulate the secretion of uric acid, which makes them effective in the treatment of urinary tract infections (UTI), gout, and arthritis.
- Gastrointestinal disorders: The leaves of this tropical tree are and anti- and can boost your natural immunity, while also providing a dose of . Due to this, they are used to treat a myriad of gastrointestinal disorders, from and constipation to gonorrhea.
- Anxiety: Because it is a slight sedative, boldo tea is also be used as a treatment for anxiety.
There are several different ways to consume these leaves.
- The most popular is by making a strong tea with the dried or fresh boldo leaves
- It is available as a tincture
- It is also used as a cooking spice in South American cuisine
Note: The recommended daily dose of boldo is 1 gram, taken three times daily.
- Chemicals in the plant act as blood thinners, so it is not recommended for anyone who is scheduled for surgery, taking a prescription like Wayfarin, or already diagnosed with liver disease.
- It is a CNS stimulant, and an overdose may cause paralysis or death.