Cognac vs Brandy
There is not an apparent difference betweenand at first glance, and while both maybe forms of brandy, they are far from the same thing.
What are Cognac & Brandy?
- Brandy is a variety of French wine that has been distilled and aged in oak barrels to improve the flavor.
- Cognac is a type of brandy, albeit a much more exotic inexpensive variety.
How are they made?
- Cognac and brandy are both made by distilling wine into a concentrated spirit.
- Cognac, however, takes the production process a step further and is distilled for a second time.
- Cognac is then aged in oak barrels for 10 to 15 years.
- Cognac is made in traditional copper pot stills, whereas brandy is often made in industrial, high-efficiency copper stills.
Where Do They Come From?
- Cognac and brandy are both made from wine, and France is particularly known for these alcohols.
- Cognac, on the other hand, is exclusively produced with grapes from the Cognac region of France, known for its ancient vineyards and high-quality growing conditions.
- Brandy can be made from wine from any part of the world.
- Brandy is typically sweeter than whiskey and has a floral , often derived from the oak barrels in which it is aged.
- Depending on the type of apples, pears or other . or wine that brandy is made with, the taste of some brandy may contain notes of
- Cognac has a rich and strong flavor, largely because of the higher alcohol content, which is often up to 70%
Blending & Aging
- Brandy is blended and aged before being placed in oak barrels.
- Cognac must be blended and aged for at least two years in oak barrels to have that distinction.
- Other levels of quality when it comes to cognac include the VSOP (at least 4 years of ) and XO (at least six years of aging).
How should they be drunk?
- Brandy can be included in a number of popular .
- Cognac, due to both its quality and high cost, should be sipped.
Which is healthier?
- Given that cognac is prepared in copper stills, it derives more than brandy and is generally considered a healthier option.
- All types of brandy, including cognac, have some potential.