For all the tea-time or high-tea lovers, a and fluffy lemon cake never disappoints. It is delicious, , zesty, and soft. Every bite of this rich and creamy cake bursts with a fresh flavor and hooks you after one bite. It has a delicate crumb that enchants your palate and makes your tea-time even better.
What is a Lemon Cake?
A lemon cake is dense, tasty, and a famous cake. Lemon adds a unique zest to a plethora of cakes, like bundt, white cakes, or angel food. However, this cake is a loaf cake that is grainy and has more crumbs, similar to a pound cake. It is a favorite amongst tea-lovers and a bestseller in coffee shops and . Since it is a shortened cake, the topping is a glaze, light icing, or a syrup.
This cake evolved from a pound cake, which was baked in England around 1700. A pound of each ingredient underwent into making a comfortable and decadent cake to feed large groups of people.
Lemon Cake Recipe
Simple & Moist Lemon Cake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC. Take a 9-inch square baking pan and grease it with butter.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar together using an electric mixer. Beat in some eggs and vanilla extract until the batter is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift all-purpose flour and baking powder together, and add to the creamy mixture.
- Now, pour in lemon zest, milk, and lemon juice, and whisk until you achieve a rich consistency. With a spatula, empty the mixture into the greased pan.
- Put in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes. Transfer the cake onto a cooling rack. Garnish with icing and let dry before serving.
- You can use buttermilk by combining 1/2 cup milk with 1.5 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until it starts to curdle.
- It is good to beat the sugar and butter for long as it incorporates air into the batter, making it fluffier and tender.
- The cake will also taste great with orange juice or lime juice.
- How can you store the cake?
This cake can be stored overnight at room temperature in a covered container. It is essential to do so as-based cakes harden at cold temperatures. Moreover, you can freeze them as long as they are wrapped well.
- How to make the cake dairy-free?
You can use almond milk, soy milk, or rice milk. Instead of butter, is a good choice. Also, instead of white , opting for coconut sugar or brown sugar works well. The darker the sugar you use, the darker your lemon cake is likely to be.