What is Saffron Tea?
Saffron tea is an spice, but they must be collected by hand. As a result, saffron remains one of the most expensive spices in the world. Saffron tea, in its traditional form, does not contain caffeine. However, commercial saffron tea bags are usually a mix of saffron, black tea, and spices and do have caffeine.brewed from the dried stigmas (styles) of the saffron flower, a crocus from the lily family scientifically known as Crocus sativus L. These plants take up to three years from seed to flower, and each plant has 3-4 flowers, which each bear 3-4 stigmas. A large volume of these delicate stigmas are needed to produce the saffron
Saffron tea is prepared with 4-5 of the saffron strands or threads before they are dried or ground into powder. There is a highof certain active ingredients and compounds in these strands, including , alpha-carotene and beta-carotene, B vitamins and various other and .
Saffron Tea Benefits
The most important saffron tea benefits include its likely ability to enhance mood, relieve PMS, enhance skin, improve eyesight, boost memory, reduce the risk of cancer, and protect heart health, among others.
Numerous studies have shown that the use of saffron is able to affect the hormonal balance in the brain, which can have noticeable effects on mood, anxiety, and symptoms of depression. Drinking a cup of this tea in the morning can stabilize your mood from the start.
The impact of this tea on the brain also include antioxidant effects. This can reduce the deposition of plaque in the brain and lower your risks of diseases.
The antioxidants and anti-eczema.properties of this tea can help clear up skin conditions, such as psoriasis or
The hormonal effects of saffron tea can help menstruating women experiencing painful cramps or mood swings.
How to Make Saffron Tea?
Making saffron tea at home is quite easy, provided you can find authentic saffron that doesn’t empty your bank account. There are no counterindications when this tea is drunk in moderation, so you can have 2-3 cups per day.
Saffron Tea Recipe
- 4-5 saffron strands
- 1 cup water filtered
- 1 tsp crushed almonds optional
- 1/4 tsp cardamom optional
- honey optional
- milk/coconut milk optional
- Boil water in a kettle or a saucepan.
- Place the saffron strands in your favorite teacup. If you are using almonds or cardamom, you can add that too.
- Pour hot water over the saffron strands.
- Allow the tea to steep for 3-4 minutes before drinking.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey for flavor, if desired. For a more exotic version, you can add raw milk or coconut milk to taste.
- Enjoy your saffron tea!
Saffron Tea Side Effects
There are few known side effects of this exotic tea, but some people do have a sensitivity or an allergy to this spice.
- In terms of toxicity, no known cases have been reported when consumed in culinary proportions.
- As always, pregnant women should speak with their doctor before adding any new herbal remedies to their health regimen.