White Pepper vs Black Pepper vs Red Pepper
Despite all of them being classified as pepper, white, black, and red pepper are not the same thing.
- This form of pepper is made when the sun-dried outer shell of black is removed, leaving only the interior seed.
- The flavor complexity is lost, and the pepper also goes stale more rapidly.
- This type of pepper is preferred in certain potatoes, due to its color. , such as white and mashed
- The most commonly found form of pepper, is relatively unprocessed and includes the outer , which is dried in the sun and blackened.
- This pepper has far more flavor notes than white pepper, as well as more active ingredients that can benefit health. Black pepper can also stay fresh for longer.
- It is easier to substitute white pepper for black pepper than vice-versa, due to the more intense flavor of black pepper.
- Red pepper is not related to the former two and is actually made from the Capsicum family of peppers.
- The active ingredient in black and white pepper is piperine, whereas red pepper benefits from .
- They are all used for medicinal and culinary purposes, but red pepper is more powerful in terms of and measurable health effects.
- Red pepper also tends to have more heat.