Agave vs Sugar
While these two sweeteners achieve the same purpose, they are far from the same thing.
How Are They Made?
- Agave nectar is a viscous liquid, sticky, but not as thick as honey.
- Table sugar commonly comes in the form of individual granules.
- Agave is composed of between 50% and 90% vitamin C, iron, calcium, and fiber. . It contains
- Table sugar is composed of sucrose, which is 50% and 50% fructose. It is very low in and vitamins.
- Agave nectar has a can help prevent diabetes. index between 10 and 20, meaning that it
- Table sugar has a glycemic index of approximately 60 and can increase the risk of .
- Agave nectar can actually help to lower your blood glucose levels, which protects against diabetes.
- There are very few health benefits associated with table sugar.
- Agave nectar is often used as a vegan alternative to honey. Agave nectar can be used in sweets and baked goods but can change the consistency, in some cases.
- Table sugar is very common in baked goods and .
- In excessive quantities, agave can actually increase resistance in the body.
- The major side effect of excess table sugar is a higher risk of diabetes. It can also increase the risk of cavities and other oral health problems.
Which is Better?
Depending on the flavor you want to achieve, and your personal health conditions, agave or sugar may be a better choice, but for overall health, moderate use of agave is a better choice.