seeds are most often used in , but they also have some surprising benefits of which you should be aware of.
What are Caraway Seeds?
Caraway carrot family, Umbelliferae. This plant is also referred to as meridian fennel or Persian cumin. The plant’s can be eaten, but most use the caraway fruit, which is mistakenly called seed as a result of its size and texture. Caraway seeds are very aromatic, and have a strong -like taste, making them popular in savory , such as sauerkraut and harissa.come from the caraway plant, a member of the
In modern times, caraway seeds are most often used in baking rye to pastry toppings and . They are often compared to , and both make a good substitute for the other, although there is an obvious difference in the taste. Fennel is very heavily licorice-flavored, while caraway tends to have more and notes to it., from
In addition to being used as a spice, these seeds are a key ingredient in aquavit, a Scandinavian , and kummel, a liquor.
Caraway seeds are rich in protein, , and various vitamins and minerals. They are a good source of fiber and vitamin C and contain low levels of . , they contain potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
Caraway Seeds Health Benefits
When ingested, these seeds can reduce heartburn, bloating, and, and topically, the active ingredients in these seeds have been shown to alleviate IBS and inflammation.
Caraway milk.is also popular as a -relieving for menstrual and also aids in promoting the production of a ’s
Lower Blood Pressure
Caraway rich in potassium aids in reducing.
A hot skin, while the essential oil is used in . The high concentration of help the fight free radicals and reduce the appearance of . This helps maintain skin elasticity and keeps the skin look younger.of caraway is effective for treating red or irritated
Caraway seeds help improve zinc and in them.health and bone density. This is due to the presence of
Caraway Seed Uses
There are several different ways to incorporate caraway seeds in your daily diet.
- Use it as a flavoring in bread or cakes, or as a spice in vegetable and meat dishes.
- It can also be raw onto . As it is a , so a little goes a long way.
- Caraway tea is a popular method, as is using caraway as a warm wrap or poultice directly on the skin or site of pain/inflammation.
- You may also see caraway in and .
- , , and often use caraway as a , the essential of which is derived from the seeds.
Caraway Seeds vs Fennel Seeds vs Cumin
While all three of thesemay look similar, they have very different flavor profiles.
- Caraway seeds are long and thin and taste heavily of anise, with a strong bite of .
- Fennel seeds are a bit and less pungent than caraway. However, they are similar in flavor to anise.
- are in color and slightly larger than both caraway and fennel. They have a strong, warm flavor, with a little more .
Caraway seeds have side effects that include the following:
- While caraway typically relieves heartburn, in some people it may actually cause heartburn.
- An excess dose may cause breastfeeding should not use caraway seeds medicinally or premature delivery/ . So who are or
- Excess intake may also cause damage.
- Stop taking caraway seeds at least two weeks before scheduled surgery, due to its effect on blood pressure and its function as a blood .