In the endless debate of dark rum vs light rum vs white rum, there are a few key differences of which you should be aware.
Dark Rum vs. Light Rum
There are many different kinds of rum on the market, but how do you know which one is the right one? The difference in taste between variations of rum can be very broad, but understanding the flavors of each will guarantee that your is perfect.
- Dark Rum: It is usually made from molasses or burnt sugar and is aged much longer than white rum, often in oak barrels.
- Light Rum: To make a rum light, it is not aged after distillation like a dark rum but is instead bottled right away. It is also stored commercially in steel barrels, to avoid any of the flavor.
- Dark Rum: It is defined by its distinct color, which can range from dark to a blackish-brown.
- Light Rum: Light rum is often referred to as traditionally clear color. It is often filtered after distillation to remove any trace of color. or white rum, due to its
- Dark Rum: It is often either drank straight or used in cooking, due to the richness in flavor. Sometimes it is mixed with spiced rum, which has various spices, including aniseed, cardamom, and . A good number of spiced rums are made with dark rums, but not all dark rums are spiced.
- Light Rum: The flavor of light rum is very mild and slightly sweet, verging on tasteless. This makes light rum very popular for mixed drinks and , but not for drinking straight.
- Rum, dark or light, is usually gluten-free, but dark rums in pre-made mixes or spiced may not be safe for those who have a strong intolerance.
- The content for both dark rum and light rum margins at around 40%.
Side Effects & Risks
Alcohol consumption, if done in an excessive manner, can lead to short-term health risks such as violence and injuries as well as long-term health risks such as According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people who should not drink alcohol include women who are , individuals younger than 21 years of age, and people who are recovering from alcoholism or cannot control the amount they drink. Also, it should be avoided by people who are planning to drive or any other activity that required focus and skill., alcohol abuse, and chronic .