In thedebate of dark rum vs light rum vs white rum, there are a few key differences of which you should be aware.
Dark Rum vs. Light Rum
There are many different kinds of rum on the market, but how do you know which one is the right one? The difference in taste between variations of rum can be very broad, but understanding the flavors of each will guarantee that your drink is perfect.
- Dark Rum: Dark rum is usually made from molasses or sugar and is aged much longer than white rum, often in oak .
- Light Rum: To make a rum light, it is not aged after distillation like a dark rum but is instead bottled right away. It is also stored commercially in barrels, to avoid any of the flavor.
- Dark Rum: Dark rum is defined by its color, which can range from a dark to a blackish-brown.
- Light Rum: Light rum is often referred to as traditionally clear color. It is often filtered after distillation to remove any trace of color. or white rum, due to its
- Dark Rum: Dark rum is often either spices, including aniseed, cardamom, and . A good number of spiced rums are made with dark rums, but not all dark rums are spiced. straight or used in , due to the richness in flavor. Sometimes dark rum is mixed with rum, which has various
- Light Rum: The flavor of light rum is very mild and slightly , verging on tasteless. This makes light rum very popular for mixed and , but not for straight.
- Rum, dark or light, is usually -free, but dark rums in pre-made or spiced may not be safe for those who have a strong intolerance.
- The content for both dark rum and light rum margins at around 40%.