The use of essential oils for croup is a common natural remedy employed by parents around the world for their ailing children.
Essential Oils for Croup
- Lavender oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Wintergreen oil
- Marjoram oil
- Thyme and Ravensara
- Tea tree oil
- Rosemary oil
Essential oils have a number of health benefits, as they are known to help with the following:
- Act as a pain reliever when applied topically
How to Use?
Depending on which essential oil you are using, you may use it internally (diluted with water) or topically on the chest, neck, and glands.
- Considering that babies and toddler are most commonly affected by this infection, internal use of essential oils is rarely recommended.
- Making a chest rub is probably the best and most reliable means of using essential oils for croup.
- Mix 5-6 drops of the above mentioned essential oils with carrier oils, such as coconut oil or almond oil.
- You can then rub this into the chest before the child goes to sleep.
- The aromatic compounds, many of which are active anti- ingredients, will be slowly inhaled and help the healing process.
- The oils will also soak into the skin, so you will be treating croup cough in two different ways at the same time!
A croup cough is an upperviral infection that typically afflicts young children and babies, and is characterized by a harsh, rasping cough. Some of the other symptoms include the following:
- Squeaky sound while inhaling
- Altered voice pitch if your child is speaking by that time
Most commonly occurring in the fall, the same virus that causes the common cold is to blame for croup, and most children recover within a week.
However, if the respiratory tracts continue to become inflamed, are required. At that point, many people turn to essential oils as a reliable remedy.can become labored and more direct treatments