10 Important Benefits of Vanilla
Vanilla is much more than a delicious flavor ingredient in our baked goods; it also has a number of important benefits, including its ability to treat acne, improve hair growth, speed healing, reduce inflammation, prevent chronic disease, protect the heart, and many more.
Vanilla is an extremely popular ingredient in many different culinary preparations around the world, and the scent of vanilla is unmistakeable to most people. This flavoring is derived from the orchids of the Vanilla genus, which bears fruits that are shaped like pods. These pods can range in size from 5-22cm in length, and are considered of a higher quality when they are larger. However, these pods must be hand-picked at precisely the right time to ensure that the seed pods don’t pop, and that they are properly ripe. Harvesting the pods is a time-intensive process, but there is a global demand for vanilla in many different forms, not only for its use in food preparation, but also in natural healing.
Extract, powder, whole pods and vanilla sugar are the most common forms that you will find vanilla in, and these can be added to countless different remedies and parts of the body. Not only is eating vanilla good for your system, due to the wealth of nutrients, unique organic compounds and antioxidants that the pods contain, but it can also be made into topical preparations. This ingredient has been and will remain one of the most trusted remedies in natural healing, as well as one of the most popular flavors for our palate. Either way, you should look into the many benefits of vanilla, and add it to your weekly intake!
10 Important Benefits of Vanilla
- Heart Health: Research on the cardiovascular impact of vanilla, particularly its active ingredient, vanillin, has shown that it can measurably reduce cholesterol levels in the body. This is very important for people at high risk of heart attacks and strokes, as lower cholesterol can prevent atherosclerosis, inflammation in the arteries, and blood clots.
- Healing Properties: Vanilla is rich in antioxidants, which can help prevent the breakdown of cells and tissues around the body, and stimulate the body’s natural regrowth. Furthermore, the antibacterial nature of this remedy means that it can protect your immune system and lower stress on the body, making it much easier to recover from injury or illness.
- Cancer Prevention: One of the most important functions of antioxidants is to eliminate free radicals in the body, which are created as natural byproducts of cellular metabolism. The antioxidants present in this remedy’s extract, particularly the high concentration of vanillin, can prevent the negative effects of free radicals, such as cancer and chronic disease.
- Reduce Inflammation: For centuries, vanilla in numerous forms has been used to soothe inflammation throughout the body. This is particularly effective for inflammation of the liver, which can occur for numerous reasons, especially if you are a heavy drinker. Vanillin is a crucial part of this remedy’s beneficial effects, and can help ease conditions of arthritis, gout and other inflammatory conditions.
- Strengthen the Hair: Vanilla is often included in hygiene and beauty products because of its many effects on the hair and skin. If you suffer from frequent split ends or hair loss, applying vanilla essential oil in a carrier oil of some kind can measurably strengthen the hair and induce blood flow to the scalp, encouraging growth and more aesthetically pleasing hair.
- Prevent Acne: For people who regularly struggle with acne, it can often feel like a losing battle. Fortunately, the antibacterial nature of this beneficial flower makes it a powerful ally in the battle against pimples, as it can eliminate the underlying infection and speed up the healing process of the skin. It can ever reduce the appearance of scars from a particularly bad bout of acne.
- Soothes Anxiety: Although some people remain skeptical of aromatherapy, some of the best natural remedies can have an effect simply through our olfactory sense. The smell of vanilla, in fact, is known to directly impact the brain and induce calmness. Therefore, the extract can be one of the best and most accessible remedies for anxiety and chronic stress.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Some research has pointed to vanilla as a weight loss aid, due to its appetite-suppressing properties. The extract of this plant is also known to help lower cholesterol levels, making your body and metabolism more efficient, and effectively supporting weight loss goals.
- Cures Respiratory Conditions: When you are battling a cough, cold, or respiratory infection, any sort of analgesic or anti-inflammatory substance can be helpful. Vanilla extract can help to coat the throat, when mixed with warm water, and provide an anesthetic effect to the throat. The antibacterial properties can also help eliminate the underlying infection or illness, while easing coughs and sore throats.
- Promotes Healthy Digestion: There are a number of ways that vanilla has been used throughout history to optimize digestive function. The scent of this herb is known to calm feelings of nausea, while vanilla-infused herbal tea can soothe inflammation in the gut and prevent vomiting, diarrhea, cramping and stomach upset.