With the keto train showing no signs of slowing down as we go forth in 2020, it’s time to rework some of our favorite foods and give them a keto makeover. And what can be a better candidate than the pizza? Everyone’s most beloved cheesy treat, the pizza does not fit the keto regime. This is because it is also heavy on carbs. The pizza is essentially a large doughy flatbread with oodles of cheese and yummy toppings. But worry not, we have the perfect keto version that is actually even better than the original!
What is Keto Pizza?
A keto pizza is an adaptation of the regular pizza to fit a keto diet. The keto diet is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that triggers a metabolic state known as ketosis. People on a keto diet have to drastically reduce their carb intake, substituting it with fat. While the inclusion of fat is not a challenge in a pizza, the exclusion of carbs certainly is. The keto pizza crust is usually made of gluten-free flour, such as almond or coconut flour. You can also try a cauliflower pizza base. Once you’ve mastered the crust, the sauce is pretty easy. You can use whatever you want. The keto pizza is also good for those following a gluten-free diet.
How to Make Keto Pizza Crust?
Every pizza has three main components, crust, sauce, and toppings. In a keto pizza, the most important part is the crust. As this is a low carb pizza, we have to substitute the normal pizza dough flour with other alternatives. We have two options for the crust, one with cauliflower flour and the second with coconut flour. The coconut flour is easier to source since you can buy it anywhere. But do try the cauliflower crust as well. It’s a fun recipe and lets you include one more veggie!
Quick Keto Pizza Recipe
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Add the mozzarella and cream cheese to a large bowl and microwave for a minute, stirring halfway through.
- Take out the bowl of melted cheese stir again. Make sure it is cooled down. Add the beaten eggs and the coconut flour. Now start kneading the flour. Coconut flour firms up and dries quickly. So, it's essential that you keep working the flour.
- If the cheese gets cold and firms up while kneading, you can microwave it. But keep the power low and don't microwave for too long. You will end up cooking the eggs. Alternatively, if the dough seems too sticky, refrigerate for a few minutes. Use oily hands when kneading.
- The easiest way to knead the dough is in a food processor. Use a dough blade or S hook to work your dough. Take out the dough for rolling out.
- You want to avoid using any additional flour when rolling out. To achieve this, place the ball of dough in the middle of two large pieces of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin start rolling out the dough to the thickness you want. Once you are done, just peel off the upper parchment layer. Transfer the rolled out dough along with the parchment paper to a pizza pan.
- Use a toothpick or fork to prick the dough to avoid any bubbling. Spread the topping and put it in the oven for baking.
- The baking time will depend on the thickness of the crust. A thin crust will take 6-10 minutes, while a thick crust may take longer. Your pizza will be done when you see the edges browning.
- Take out the pizza and enjoy!
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes makes it more manageable when rolling out.
- You can make ahead the dough by wrapping it up in a cling film and storing in the refrigerator. When baking, take it out and let it come to room temperature before putting it in the oven.
Keto Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 big head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Start by making cauliflower rice. Cut or break out all the florets from the head. Put these in a food processor and whiz till you have fine grains. This is cauliflower rice. You should get about 4 cups of rice. Put the cauliflower rice in a bowl and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Now take out all the moisture from the rice. To do this, put the cooked rice in the middle of a kitchen towel. Bring the ends together and start twisting the ends of the kitchen towel, automatically squeezing the rice. Keep squeezing till you have taken out all the moisture.
- Before you start with the dough, preheat the oven to 450F. In a wide bowl put together the cauliflower rice, the two kinds of cheese, and the eggs. Bring them together and start kneading. It is important that you knead the dough properly.
- Wrap up the kneaded dough in a cling film and chill it for 20 minutes. This will help you roll it. You can also store it like this for up to 4 days.
- Place the dough ball between two pieces of parchment paper and start flattening it with a rolling pin. The parchment paper allows you to roll the dough without adding any additional flour.
- When you have the desired thickness, remove the upper parchment paper and transfer the rolled out dough to a pizza pan. Prick the dough with a toothpick or fork.
- Bake the crust till it browns. Alternatively, you can spread the toppings and bake till the edges are browned.
- Enjoy your pizza!
What’s a pizza without toppings? Luckily the keto diet does not put limitations on cheese, an essential requirement for any pizza. You can use the traditional marinara or an alfredo sauce. Try pesto for something different. Top up the sauce with mozzarella cheese. We would also highly recommend cheeses like goat cheese or ricotta. For toppings, pick anything you like, bacon, sausages, pepperoni. If you want a vegetarian version, go for peppers, mushrooms, pineapple, spinach, and of course, basil leaves.
Do you have a favorite topping? Tell us what you love the most on your pizza. If you tried our pizza, we would love to hear from you. If you have other suggestions or ideas about keto pizza, write to us in the comment section below.