It is one of those Merlot on date night. We are talking about stuffed mushrooms. This bite-sized appetizer takes the humble to an exalted level with its creamy stuffing and can be an excellent side dish for the holidays, especially Christmas.that can make your children happy and yet, stand its own next to a glass of
How To Make Stuffed Mushrooms?
If you are trying this recipe for the first time, you can use medium-sized white button mushrooms. The right size matters as it becomes easy to eat it as an appetizer. Once you have mastered the recipe, you can experiment with different kinds of mushrooms such as crimini mushrooms or the larger, meatier-tasting Portabellos.
This dish is an easy and welcome addition on holiday menus for. If you want to make it meaty, you can add chopped Italian sausage to the stuffing. Another version that makes a beautiful addition to an elegant menu is buttery crabmeat-stuffed mushrooms. But it’s advisable to first just make the simple version to get the method right. So, let’s look at the step-by-step recipe for a simple version.
Simple Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 24 mushrooms medium
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp oregano chopped
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder optional
- 1/4 tsp onion powder or
- 2 scallions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet with oil spray. Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove the stem carefully. Then, chop the mushroom stems finely.
- In a skillet, warm the olive oil. Add the chopped mushroom stems and cook it till the moisture is out. It will become a little crispy. Now add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. If you are using scallion, you can add it now and cook it till translucent.
- Add the breadcrumbs and sauté till toasted lightly. This may take 3-4 minutes. Add your choice of seasonings and herbs. Blend well. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Stir in the cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. Keep a little Parmesan cheese aside to top the stuffed mushroom.
- Spoon a generous amoung to stuffing into each mushroom cap and top it with Parmesan cheese. Place the mushroom caps on the baking sheet.
- Bake the mushrooms for 20 minutes, or till they are piping hot and have liquid bubbling at the bottom of the caps. You can garnish it with herbs or serve it as is. Enjoy the cheesy goodness!
Stuffed Mushrooms for Christmas
If you are planning to make stuffed mushrooms for Christmas, you can make it festive with a red and green theme. Chop cherry tomatoes and basil finely. Add this to the stuffing. The stuffed mushrooms will have bits of red and green and make for a festive dish!
Connect With Us
If you have tried this recipe, we would love your feedback in the comments section below. And while we can’t taste it, we would love to see how it turned out! You can connect with us on Facebook or Instagram and tag your picture with #organicfactsrecipes.
Do you wish to share your winning recipes with us? Please click here and fill in the details to get started.