Wild yams have been in use for vegetable and .of years, but it is only in modern times that we can recognize the full potential of this
What Are Wild Yams?
Wild yams are the wild variety of commonly known sweet potatoes and go by the scientific name Dioscorea villosa. There are more than 600 varieties of wild yam, but only a dozen or so are considered edible. However, their are valuable due to a chemical compound found inside called diosgenin. This compound is a precursor to certain such as , that is important for boosting the reproductive . While and from this have long been used in traditional , there’s still some debate about the efficacy of raw wild yam on the . Using wild yam on the skin is also believed to be an effective anti- medicine.
Benefits of Wild Yams
There is a wide variety of benefits of wild yams, including the ability to relieve osteoporosis, increase and desire in both and , and problems, among many others.of PMS, prevent
- Control sugar levels
- Lower your cancers of various
- Keep your levels in check
- Reduce signs of based on some exposure
- Relieve (PMS) symptoms such as
- Aid in the treatment of gallbladder problems
- Prevent and
- Lower the risk of dysfunctional or painful
- Reduce afterbirth pain
- Prevent during
- Relieve and mood
- Minimize symptoms
- Lower risk of developing
- Help treat diverticulosis
- In modern medicine, wild yam is available in herbal capsule, tincture and supplement form.
- To have an effect, the compounds in wild yam need to be processed in a in order to be effective.
- Some tuber for their . still recommend extracts from this vegetable
- At times, extracts from this vegetable have been used as an alternative option for therapy.
That being said, if you believe that you are struggling withor other reproductive health issues, it is best to speak with your before trying any herbal options. It is important to understand that the body cannot convert the compounds in wild yam into estrogen within the body.
Wild Yam Side Effects
There are a number of side effects of using this extract that you should be aware of, including the following:
- Pregnancy & Breastfeeding: Wild yam extract may cause breastfeeding. during pregnancy and
- Cancer: If you are struggling with hormone-related cancer or ovarian cancer, speak to your doctor before using any herbal . This extract could make the symptoms worse. , such as
- Blood clots: There is also some worry that consuming wild yam extract can cause blood clots, which may be a problem for with .