Almost 12 years ago, I was addicted to this amazing broccoli salad in a café in Monterey, California. It was crunchy yet soft doused in a mayo dressing topped with cranberries – a delectable combination of creamy and tangy. I’ve been trying to recreate the flavor without the addition of mayonnaise to avoid the extra calories. After a few attempts, I realized that mustard, honey, and tahini can give the same results. If you don’t have tahini on hand, you can skip it (Tahini is a dense sesame seed paste commonly known as a key ingredient in hummus). Personally, I love the nutty flavor it imparts to the salad.
Classic Broccoli Salad Recipe
- 1 Broccoli cut into florets
- 1 Red Onion Sliced
- ½ Cup of your favorite nuts slivered I used almonds & walnuts
- 1/3 Cup raisins
- 2 tbsp mustard sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tahini sauce
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp pepper
- Juice of one lime
- To make broccoli salad, first and foremost, blanch the broccoli florets. To do this, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a teaspoon of salt. Now add the broccoli florets in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Remove the florets with a slotted spoon and immerse in cold water. Doing so will ensure that the broccoli is tender yet crisp.
- Mix the dressing ingredients. Adjust to your taste. The recommended proportions are just guidelines and you may find you prefer a sweeter, tangier or spicier flavor.
- Assemble all the ingredients together and preferably let the salad marinate for 20 minutes. Unlike most salads, this recipe stays well in the fridge.
- Serve with boiled eggs for a full meal.
Connect With Us
If you have tried this recipe, we would love your feedback in the comments section below. And while we can’t taste it, we would love to see how it turned out! You can connect with us on Facebook or Instagram and tag your picture with #organicfactsrecipes.
Do you wish to share your winning recipes with us? Please click here and fill in the details to get started.