Using rosemary oil for hair is a common practice, since it can have so many impressive effects, and is readily available in many parts of the world.
Rosemary oil is the essential oil that is distilled or extracted from the rosemary herb, scientifically known as Rosmarinus officinalis. Rosemary oil is a very popular essential oil, due to its powerful aroma, as well as its wide range of health effects. Rosemary oil is beneficial for the hair because of its high concentration of phytonutrients, including caffeic acid, rosmarinic acid, camphor, ursolic acid, and various other active ingredients. One of the areas where this oil can be used is on the hair and scalp, and its popularity in this manner has increased significantly.
Benefits of Rosemary Oil for Hair
When applied to the hair, rosemary oil has many impressive benefits, like the following:
- Preventing hair loss
- Preventing graying of hair
- Strengthening the scalp
- Improving hair texture
Let us look at some of the benefits in detail:
By improving circulation and reducing inflammation, this oil can help to prevent additional hair loss, keeping you looking younger for longer.
The antioxidants found in this oil help it prevent damage to the scalp from free radicals, as well as excess sun exposure.
The antibacterial nature of this oil boosts the defenses of your scalp against chronic infection that can cause hair loss.
If your hair has excessive oil, using this medicinal oil can help improve the texture and luster of your locks and prevent the graying of hair.
How to Use Rosemary Oil for Hair?
If you want to use rosemary oil for hair, the most popular methods include the following:
- Blending it with hair products or creating an essential oil treatment.
- As hair washes and scrubs.
- Mixing rosemary oil with shampoos, conditioners, and other hair products is an easy way to invigorate those products and make them even better for your hair health. Typically, only 4-5 drops need to be mixed into a handful of shampoo, but if you are preparing an entire bottle, you may want to add 30-40 drops before mixing well.
- You can also combine 4-5 drops of rosemary oil with other essential oils, such as lavender or peppermint, as a scalp scrub. You can work this oil mixture deep into the follicles and scalp, which is particularly good for hair growth and inflammatory problems.
After using this oil on the hair and scalp, it is best to rinse off with warm water to prevent any irritation.
Word of Caution
It is important to note than rosemary oil should not be consumed orally. Furthermore, it should be kept away from pregnant women and children, due to its potent active ingredients. Some people may experience topical inflammation, particularly if they are allergic to the rosemary herb or similar plants.